What's new
What's new

Insulation for oven

workin stiff

Banned
The insulation in what I call the diverter in my oven is shot. Manufacturer is long gone. Looks to be half inch thick. Machine runs at six to 750 degrees. Any ideas what to use?401521DB-2F54-4625-AC42-F57363191C92.jpg191046E5-98D6-4F21-BC0D-381749E663C6.jpg

First choice is millboard insulation. This is a ceramic fiber board to replace asbestos. A high temperature insulating blanket like material is rock wool. It will stand 1500F.

Tom

First choice is millboard insulation. This is a ceramic fiber board to replace asbestos. A high temperature insulating blanket like material is rock wool. It will stand 1500F.

Tom

To the OP:
These materials and more will be available at any decent pottery supply house in Stockton. Sure, foundry supply houses will have it too, but will be inclined to be uninterested in selling small quantities. There ought to be someone at the pottery place who could give you good advice on rebuilding your furnace at not great expense.

Denis

As DG sais a pottery place should be able to get you kaowool or similar. Blacksmiths also use this to make or line forges with. You can search for blacksmith forge supply if pottery stores dont work out. It will come in different temperature ratings, you can probably use the lowest temp rating, also the cheapest.

From my experience a 1" ceramic fiber board (such as those from Morgan Ceramics) will keep its shape better than a ceramic wool.

Back