What's new
What's new

Interchangability of serrated boring bar heads

YorkCNC

Plastic
Question revolves around interchangeable boring bar heads with a serrated interface, which as far as I'm aware started with Sandvik Coroturn SL. Ultra-Dex has a system they call "Serrated Chatter-Free" (SCFT). Kennametal has a new one they call "Vibration-Free boring bars with bolt-on heads". All these systems clearly work on the same principles, but they look so similar in pictures that I got to thinking they might be literally interchangeable between brands with the same coupling size. Has anyone here tried this (i.e. putting a Kennametal head on a Sandvik bar or any other combination) and/or spoken with company reps about the possibility? If you know of another companies offering that is a candidate to interchange with those I listed post that up as well.

I do not know but I would be highly surprised if they interchanged with one another. Actually I'd be willing to bet both manufacturers tried to keep them from being interchangeable on purpose. Keeps folks from being able to do what you're asking about.

You might try posting this question on the CNC board if still no love here. Maybe you will actually find someone who has tried this and can say forsure. I can not...

Brent

Ultra-Dex anted up some very serious dollars to Sandvik for a license on devibe bars and the right to make under the patents.
Years of not making any money on the sold product.
They could have changed the coupling but that would limit sales as much as it locks in customers.
I would pick up the phone and give them a call. They are much smaller than the big names and it's way more likely to get a hold of someone who knows or will tell.

The thing here is that you want to sell heads.
Bars don't go bad, people wreck heads.
So like inserts you make it interchangeable with the big guy ones ...patents and license fees do get in the way.

I do not deal in this product line so I have only poop for advice but I'd call the above mentioned. If they help you owe them a PO.
Bob

Tungaloy's bars and heads are directly interchangeable with SL. I know this first hand.

I have no idea about the others.

Found it, the Tungaloy "BoreMeister" system for anyone following along.

Both the Tungaloy system and the Kennametal are new as of last year or so (have been unable to find info on when ultra-dex introduced their serrated bars), I'm thinking maybe the relevant Sandvik patents expired recently which is why we are seeing an influx of direct copies now? That would certainly make sense.

Back