What's new
What's new

interesting 4 jaw chuck

Don't we all work in our shop wearing flippy flops, i would pay money to see that chuck fall and break some toes.......

I have several combination chucks. Some have four jaws and some have three. They are still made, if anyone wants a brand new one. They are not unique, just expensive, hence uncommon.

Working barefoot in a machine shop does indicate a certain lack of concern for safety. And maybe some other lacks.

Larry

Ever heard of Toft Brothers,makers of sugar cane harvesters......the Tofts never wore shoes one day in their lives.......Feet like black footballs.....They could walk on swarf without even noticing.....Quite common when I were young,people were tough then,not snowflakes like now.

First post is a link to your own youtube video/channel...

Tread lightly.
He's lost. The video would have been better ran faster with those fake utube clicking sounds. The exposed toes with the chuck on the bench says it all.

Delete

Ever heard of Toft Brothers,makers of sugar cane harvesters......the Tofts never wore shoes one day in their lives.......Feet like black footballs.....They could walk on swarf without even noticing.....Quite common when I were young,people were tough then,not snowflakes like now.

I'll bet they were Great! to be around.....:ack2:

Don't we all work in our shop wearing flippy flops, i would pay money to see that chuck fall and break some toes.......

Could be worse, in Australia they're referred to as "thongs" which causes great mirth amongst visiting Yanks, alternatively as "Japanese riding boots".

Captain-Trumpet's post and this thread are very interesting to me. I mistakenly posted a couple of days ago about a Westcott 3 jaw combination chuck over in the South Bend forum, since the only machine that I found with the odd spindle size( 2 1/2-6) was a South Bend 14 1/2" lathe. But the time frames for the machines and chuck don't match. The chuck also has export information on the face. Here's the link for the thread with pictures of the 3 jaw version.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...t-3-jaw-scroll-chuck-independent-jaws-359864/

We call them Wescot chucks or DIN 6351 chucks. Expensive, therefore rare.

At least his shop is warm!

Actually, the German name is "System Wescott," as shown in the pictures of two NIB German combination chucks I have. That may be a misspelling of James H. Westcott, a late 19th century American inventor of lathe chucks and owner of the Westcott Chuck Co. of Oneida, NY. The company was still in business in 1952, as evidenced by a chuck patent issued to them that year.

DSC01181.jpg DSC01191.jpg DSC01192.jpg DSC01193.jpg

Back