What's new
What's new

"Interesting" engine lathe... (photo)

Legs look to be someone's fabrication project - with the back of the envelope design seriously lacking.

But it HAS to be a deal - 'clean and painted'. Maybe the potted plant comes with it....

Dale

Unless its a ''factory special'' I think it's a cut down - my betting a long one got dropped, .and someone's trying to salvage as many $ as they can

This is what 2600 series look like 2600 Lathe Series | Standard Modern™ Lathes

And if you google Standard Modern 2630 that machine on Ebay is the only one that comes up

There's something not right about it Sami. Whoever thought that was a good place to position the motor and isolator ?

Maybe the motor is up there so the fan can suck away all the coolant and chips from the operator !

Regards Tyrone.

Standard Modern built a lot of those lathe for the military for "mobile repair shops" usually in a big trailer.
Generally well thought of, SM lathes are kind of middle of the road, like the smaller LeBlonds.
Certianly no Monarch, but better than many.

Pete
who used to have a SM 1340 and is sorry he sold it:(

Standard Modern built a lot of those lathe for the military for "mobile repair shops" usually in a big trailer.
(

Pete / Limy Sami -

Think you nailed it once I went back and looked at the pictures better. My memory is rusty and it has been too many years but the one US Army trailer mounted machine shop I remember had an SM lathe mounted over the wheels or 5th wheel, can't remember which configeration, hence was mounted on the trailer structure with no legs. Has the government tag - and if you look at the last few pictures it appears to have spent time rusting away in a DRMO salvage yard - faded motor tag with rusted screw heads. Take a look at the dial and tail stock as well - seems to me to have had corrosion removed.

But such a deal I'll stick with my 1945 Heavy 10 that came out of an earlier Army mobile machine shop - at least it was never trashed and rusted. Plus at $800 was a much better deal.

Dale

Last edited:
I have an older version of that lathe, came out a an Army mobile machine shop. The motor was mounted on top for space saving, mine still has motor mount plate on backside. Installed in the trailer it sat on an 11" wide, angle iron pedestal bolted to floor, the operator stood in a 6" deep well in floor. As for top heaviness, I plucked mine out of trailer still on 11" wide pedestal with the JD loader/forklift and carried it several hundred yards across the field, without dumping it. I have since raised and widened the pedestal, and made it so it cannot dump while being forked. Its a nice machine, came with almost every piece of tooling that it left the factory with, plus a versa-mill with every attachment available.

First thought was only for use by midgets or wheelchair bound. That or you have to have very dexterous kneecaps.

I've seen a couple of non-military mobile workshops too that something like this could have come out of. I think they show up in some 3rd world type construction gigs. Anyplace that people need precision parts fast, but don't have the grace or good fortune to schedule their needs out.
SEA BOX | Two Container (20’ x 8’) Mobile Machine Shop

I always thought it would be fun to build one, although the logistics of operating it profitably are x10 as tricky as getting all the machines, tools, and material compacted and functional in a little tin box.

Back