"Interesting" engine lathe... (photo)
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Interesting" engine lathe... (photo)

A Standard "Modern" mounted on antique legs..... WTF

Standard Modern 2630 26" x 30" Lathe - 27 to 1,600 rpm - 3" Thru Hole | eBay

Price is a big nutty too...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks top heavy and not very sturdy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Legs look to be someone's fabrication project - with the back of the envelope design seriously lacking.

But it HAS to be a deal - 'clean and painted'. Maybe the potted plant comes with it....

Dale

4. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless its a ''factory special'' I think it's a cut down - my betting a long one got dropped, .and someone's trying to salvage as many $ as they can

This is what 2600 series look like 2600 Lathe Series | Standard Modern™ Lathes

And if you google Standard Modern 2630 that machine on Ebay is the only one that comes up

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Unless its a ''factory special'' I think it's a cut down - my betting a long one got dropped, .and someone's trying to salvage as many $ as they can

This is what 2600 series look like 2600 Lathe Series | Standard Modern™ Lathes

And if you google Standard Modern 2630 that machine on Ebay is the only one that comes up
    There's something not right about it Sami. Whoever thought that was a good place to position the motor and isolator ?

Maybe the motor is up there so the fan can suck away all the coolant and chips from the operator !

Regards Tyrone.

7. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Standard Modern built a lot of those lathe for the military for "mobile repair shops" usually in a big trailer.
    Generally well thought of, SM lathes are kind of middle of the road, like the smaller LeBlonds.
    Certianly no Monarch, but better than many.

Pete
    who used to have a SM 1340 and is sorry he sold it

9. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stand corrected it seems a 2630 does exist ---------and has no legs http://www.standardmodernlathes.com/...630-manual.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shapeaholic View Post
    Standard Modern built a lot of those lathe for the military for "mobile repair shops" usually in a big trailer.
    (
    Pete / Limy Sami -

Think you nailed it once I went back and looked at the pictures better. My memory is rusty and it has been too many years but the one US Army trailer mounted machine shop I remember had an SM lathe mounted over the wheels or 5th wheel, can't remember which configeration, hence was mounted on the trailer structure with no legs. Has the government tag - and if you look at the last few pictures it appears to have spent time rusting away in a DRMO salvage yard - faded motor tag with rusted screw heads. Take a look at the dial and tail stock as well - seems to me to have had corrosion removed.

But such a deal I'll stick with my 1945 Heavy 10 that came out of an earlier Army mobile machine shop - at least it was never trashed and rusted. Plus at $800 was a much better deal.

Dale
    Last edited by duckfarmer27; 12-08-2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: additional thought

12. Likes Mike C. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an older version of that lathe, came out a an Army mobile machine shop. The motor was mounted on top for space saving, mine still has motor mount plate on backside. Installed in the trailer it sat on an 11" wide, angle iron pedestal bolted to floor, the operator stood in a 6" deep well in floor. As for top heaviness, I plucked mine out of trailer still on 11" wide pedestal with the JD loader/forklift and carried it several hundred yards across the field, without dumping it. I have since raised and widened the pedestal, and made it so it cannot dump while being forked. Its a nice machine, came with almost every piece of tooling that it left the factory with, plus a versa-mill with every attachment available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pic from removal, motor removed for clearance, it was a tight fit, barely enough room to remove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smlathe-10.jpg  

15. Likes TheOldCar, M.B. Naegle, duckfarmer27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same motor location as virtually every L&S in the world until the 60s. Model X, etc...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First thought was only for use by midgets or wheelchair bound. That or you have to have very dexterous kneecaps.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen a couple of non-military mobile workshops too that something like this could have come out of. I think they show up in some 3rd world type construction gigs. Anyplace that people need precision parts fast, but don't have the grace or good fortune to schedule their needs out.
    SEA BOX | Two Container (20’ x 8’) Mobile Machine Shop

I always thought it would be fun to build one, although the logistics of operating it profitably are x10 as tricky as getting all the machines, tools, and material compacted and functional in a little tin box.