Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I have held 1/4" cutting tools with great success, and the tools were used until failure with heavy cutting forces. If you do this you really need to use the correct "Loctite" for the job. The different sealants require different gaps for the glue line. I typically use 263 when gluing two pieces of metal together, but have others if the gap needs to be smaller. Glue a 1/2" square piece of metal to a bigger one and then try breaking it apart. I am pretty sure you will be surprised at how well it holds. Damn fine tool for the toolbox.

2. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The concept is you blue the taper, then use a taper fit gauge to see how much of the blue is undisturbed. The goal is have as little blue left as possible, not as much. Leftove blue shows an absence of contact. It's a method used by the top machinery people....for example, if you are manufacturing a 200MW steam turbine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What green Loctite does is fill in spaces so when applied to any mechanical assembly it has the same effect as creating more precise mating surfaces. If applied to something like a split shaft collar after assembly it increases the holding force.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    What green Loctite does is fill in spaces so when applied to any mechanical assembly it has the same effect as creating more precise mating surfaces. If applied to something like a split shaft collar after assembly it increases the holding force.
    Locktite probably also works somewhat as a lubricant in the taper allowing it to seat better with same force. But unlike oil it eventually hardens up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The magic of loctite is that it is a polymer catylized and cured by the presence of metal ions. Thus it doesn't cure in the bottle even if left open. The thinner the joint the faster it cures too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also keep in mind that adhesives are generally strongest when used in shear. This is basically pure shear, so you are using the adhesive at it's best.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Yes, I have held 1/4" cutting tools with great success, and the tools were used until failure with heavy cutting forces. If you do this you really need to use the correct "Loctite" for the job. The different sealants require different gaps for the glue line. I typically use 263 when gluing two pieces of metal together, but have others if the gap needs to be smaller. Glue a 1/2" square piece of metal to a bigger one and then try breaking it apart. I am pretty sure you will be surprised at how well it holds. Damn fine tool for the toolbox.
    For 30+ years all drill and tap extensions I'd "stick" with loctite. First 601 and latterly 603.
    Drill rod (silver steel) for the extension, and drill/ream to suit the drill/tap shank, degrease and loctite away!
    M8 downwards I've done this with, and never had a failure.