What's new
What's new

Internal / external threading inserts

NewGunPlumber

Aluminum
Looking to purchase some internal and external threading tools for use on a manual lathe.

Just wondering if I get a standard RH external tool and a LH internal tool would I be able to use the same inserts in both? Not looking to use full profile inserts

This one tool uses stand up inserts- both internal and external threading.
It seems you would just 'flip' the insert for LH or RH internal

Kit #18 1/2 inch Threader NV

It comes with HHS inserts, but you can install carbide, AFAIK

I don’t see that working well for ID threading. I seem to mostly use Kennametal Top Notch bars and inserts. Same inserts for ID and OD. Grooving inserts also are available and useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Warner tool is min 1.3" bore and I'm looking to do 3/4 and up.

I haven't seen much of the kennametal gear in Australia so getting parts or inserts may be a bit more difficult. I'm looking to find out if it's possible with the standard 3 corner 16 style insert with the correct holder

If you are considering the laydown type of inserts, make sure you get the correct sear. The seats are tapered and are made accordingly for the diameter of the thread.

Probably simpler to buy I and E Inserts than to find a LH bar. Especially considering you probably only need 1 of each.

Make sure you get sharp inserts.

3/4" shank carmex bar will fit a bxa holder and cut 3/4 internal.

The other option is a radial relief bar, sharpened by grinding the top face so you maintain the form.

Back