What's new
What's new

Invent help and the like, product development : Question.

michiganbuck

Diamond
Invent help and the like: Question.
I have a patent on a simple small item and am wondering if any of the invention development services are any good / honest / effective. Reading about Invent Help it seems they have a lot of unhappy people.
I have been contacted by a Brentwood CA. outfit that wants to license my invention but don’t know much about them., also looking at Davison Research because they have a good web site and seem to be connected to Shark Tank. Shark Tank seems to take a long time to get on. I will also contact a manufacturing business in the same field of products, U haul trailer manufacturing and the like.
Agree I could develop it myself but packaging, and sales contacts are not my expertise and so to get it out there quickly might consider one of the help outfits, plus building hunting deer blinds has kept me pretty busy.
One outfit I researched had thousands of applicants and only 15 successes.

You're wise to be cautious, most of these places are very good at separating a hopeful client from their money.

I learned this the hard way with my first patent attempt, the next time I handed it off to the university I was working for. At least that time the patent was issued, but I admit to making no money from any of the four I have.

Some local business incubators guide you through and help source the creative (packaging) and back office work (sales). Of course they take a cut on success, it is how they fund the free coffee and all the social parties you partake in- some even find angel investors for you. I do not see this as good ones skimming, but providing a service.

I don't mean to offend you, but why did you waste the resources to patent it if you had no plan on what you were going to do with it?

The selling and support part is the hard part.

Make a real plan for infrastructure to make/pack/ship,market and support then that patent might mean something.

If you don't want to do this your idea and your patent are maybe 1% of the puzzle.

Invent help and the like: Question.
I have a patent on a simple small item and am wondering if any of the invention development services are any good / honest / effective.

I'm thinking they may be required by uncle sam to provide success data/statistics to customers if requested. And anyone connected to Shark Tank doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I thought about that and do know how to make a simple bending die and do the have machines. I have a mill and a few grinders, a cut off machine, a better quality drill press with power down feed and a couple lathes I rarely use, so would only need but a small press to make it... and then marketing. I have a friend with a fabricating shop who quoted about $2.00 each with it nickle plated. It could be made of SS so not needing the plating. likely it could be made in china for less, and I have a girl in China who wanted to make parts for our deer blinds.
But now my friend is talking about retiring because of health reasons. I am also busy with other activities..A fellow called this week and said he might wish to license my patent and they would cover the manufacturing costs... But agree "who knows." Have to see where this might go.

Patent: US 9,796,230 B1

Galvanised / carbon steel / SS 12 gauge (about .110") would be Ok If any one wants to bid the job.
likely in 1000 piece orders at start.

If I wanted to to manufacture something it would be my slide surface grinder wheel dresser.
I am working on an off chuck wheel dresser design also.
Agree both these products would not be granted a patent.
Or my gold prospectors bucket.. on that likely I could patent.

Agree figure 13 was wrong/shame on my artist/shame on me for not spotting that.

I’ve been developing medical products from napkin sketches my whole career. It’s not easy and not cheap. Most of these places offer the service because the inventor usually doesn’t have the $$ and the savvy.

Be wary of ready made solutions, partner with someone you trust that has the compliment expertise to you and be prepared to pony up loads of cash.

Good lick,
B

Back