What's new
What's new

inverting air-over-hydraulic jack?

Hopefuldave

Cast Iron
ok, it seems pretty simple to invert a regular hydraulic jack (rearrange the fluid pickup, external reservoir etc.).

BUT with an air-over is it just an additional step of inverting the air cylinder using a few 90-degree hydraulic elbows, or will I run into problems? Looking at pics remotely (don't have one here yet...) it looks like there's only a hydraulic union between the cylinder and the base of the jack. e.g. 06184 Heavy Duty Air Hydraulic Jack 20 Ton Bottle Jack Pneumatic Lift Ram Car Va | eBay

End use will be mounting it on a trolley between the top cross-members of an H-frame press I'm planning to build for the Shed of Danger as I want to avoid the HF-style wobbly intermediate platform with the jack base sat on it and tooling mount welded out of square underneath, tooling can screw into the end of the jack's ram.

Thanks,
Dave H. (the other one)

All you need to know is that air must go into the top of the oil reservoir and the oil must come out the bottom. How you get there is up to you, the necessary orientation of the jack and the available space. Just be mindful to make sure that there's a provision to keep the oil from running out of the hydraulic cylinder if your reservoir is mounted lower than the cylinder or you'll have no end of issues and your air over oil setup will instead become an air cylinder with some small amount of oil in it.

Back