What's new
What's new

Involute gear cutter - range

TrueBor

Aluminum
Question : I have to cut a gear with 54 teeth ( M1.5 PA20 ). This will need cutter #6 (34-54) . BUT I read a cutter is best for the low number of teeth and only an approximation for the top number. Then #6 will be best for 34 teeth. I am thinking it may be better to cut with #7 which is best for 55 teeth. Am I correct and if not , why not ?

Question : I have to cut a gear with 54 teeth ( M1.5 PA20 ). This will need cutter #6 (34-54) . BUT I read a cutter is best for the low number of teeth and only an approximation for the top number. Then #6 will be best for 34 teeth. I am thinking it may be better to cut with #7 which is best for 55 teeth. Am I correct and if not , why not ?

That's a dam good question, and I had to think about it, but no is the answer stick with # 6 for the required profile involute .
see attached pic3-Figure2-1.jpg

I do not disagree with your answer and I suppose that those two figures do help to explain why. I even suspect that I know why. Namely that the higher numbered tooth cutters create more space between the teeth so they will work for the higher tooth counts in their stated range. But for the lower tooth counts in the range below them they will not cut enough clearance and so the teeth may/will interfere. I hope I said that right.

But the photos could be somewhat larger and some explanation of what you intended to say would be nice.

That's a dam good question, and I had to think about it, but no is the answer stick with # 6 for the required profile involute .
see attached picView attachment 298354

well because that's what the tool cutter engineers recommend, how ever I drew the gear teeth profiles for 34T,54T,& 55T
I will be honest the 55T profile is closer. but I would say stay with 34T-54T because it's what recommended.
profile.jpg

Back