What's new
What's new

IR Air Hammer First Use Preparation

wheels17

Stainless
I just bought an Ingersoll Rand 114G Air Percussive Hammer. In the manual, they state:

Tools are coated inside and out with rust-resisting oil before leaving the factory. Before using the tool, remove this oil by dipping the tool in a suitable cleaning solution to wash the oil from the exterior. Pour about 6 cubic cm of a clean, suitable, cleaning solution into the air inlet and operate the tool for about 15 seconds. Dry the tool immediately after cleaning, pour 3 cubic cm of Ingersoll-Rand No. 10 Oil into the air inlet and again operate the tool for 5 seconds to lubricate all working parts.

Anybody dealt with this before? The manual has no indication of what cleaning solution would be "suitable" other than they must be "proper" and meet "current safety and health standards".

And I'm imagining the mess created by blowing 3 CC of oil through the thing...

If it was mine, I'd just flush it out with wd40 or anything similar. Wrap a rag around the outlet to catch most of the mess and then oil as usual.

Mineral spirits is what I used in mine. Then the air tool oil. 3cc isn't much, barely enough to get a wet spot on a rag on the way out of the tool.

And I'm imagining the mess created by blowing 3 CC of oil through the thing...

It's not much oil (as posted above) but if your paining cars and such nearby
it might be a problem. Do you have a lubricator hooked up ?

Your going to want to put a whip hose on that thing. The vibration will damage the air coupling if its hooked directly to tool.

Thank you for all the good advice guys. WD-40 sounds good, and I have a can. The whip idea is something I never would have thought of, but makes perfect sense.

The manual shows a water separator/filter/oiler in the supply circuit, says to refill the unit every 48 hours, but never indicates an oil flow rate. I suppose "any" would be good enough. They also suggest running 3 CC of oil into the unit before storage.

Most of the oilers have a sight glass that shows oil flow. For most tools I set mine at 1 drop a second or so. On my big compressor I have an oiler, on my smaller ones I just disconnect the tool and add a few drops of oil now and then during use.

Back