Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Benta View Post
    No. Where did you get that from?
    Well, in particular you can be a nonsymtmatic carrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Google "herd immunity"... I think this anti vax nonsense comes from an absolute short sightedness and complete detachment from the horrors that diseases have had on the world.

3. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK I will bite:
    1 How many typhoid Marys were spreading typhoid?
    2 How many asymptomatic whooping cough carriers are out there? Are there any?
    3 Will a typhoid vaccine now cure a typhoid Mary?
    4 Will a pertussis vaccination cure an asymptomatic carrier.

Boy this is way off the OPs original post about engineers and machinists maintaining medical equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    OK I will bite:
    1 How many typhoid Marys were spreading typhoid?
    2 How many asymptomatic whooping cough carriers are out there? Are there any?
    3 Will a typhoid vaccine now cure a typhoid Mary?
    4 Will a pertussis vaccination cure an asymptomatic carrier.

Boy this is way off the OPs original post about engineers and machinists maintaining medical equipment.
    1) at least one resulting in at least three deaths
    2) Asymptomatic transmission and the resurgence of Bordetella pertussis
    3) Vaccination | Typhoid Fever | CDC
    Regardless having the vaccine prevents initial contraction.
    4)whooping cough vaccine cures for adults - Google Search
    When you get the vaccine they will often test to see if you are infected.

Google is your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    Google "herd immunity"... I think this anti vax nonsense comes from an absolute short sightedness and complete detachment from the horrors that diseases have had on the world.
    And sociopathy.

8. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really appreciate the iron lung information. I grew up across the street from the sweetest woman you could ever imagine who’s family took care of her needs of being a polio victim. She was in an iron lung 18 hours per day. She could gulp breaths consciously. One elbow and a wrist kinda worked. We called her our “aunt” and visited here several times a week for many years. She died in her 40s. She was influential in my life. Conspiracy theorists are among the least informed and most closed minded people I ever meet. I think it is difficult to help such people and I wish them well.

10. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    1) at least one resulting in at least three deaths
    2) Asymptomatic transmission and the resurgence of Bordetella pertussis
    3) Vaccination | Typhoid Fever | CDC
    Regardless having the vaccine prevents initial contraction.
    4)whooping cough vaccine cures for adults - Google Search
    When you get the vaccine they will often test to see if you are infected.

Google is your friend.
    Looked at some of the info:
    #1 hypothesis of carriers seemed to be the conclusion, no real evidence.
    #2 bacterial cleared from the body in a couple of weeks with or without
    treatment Pertussis | Whooping Cough | Diagnosis and Treatment | CDC
    #3 If only 2 cases of carriers, no one knows whether a vaccine will cure an existing asymptomatic case.
    #4 if the cdc info was correct no bacteria persist to cure with a post infection vaccine.
    Not sure if there is an answer now, the wolf commercials have not been aired recently. Still not sure if they were correct or just scared?

I was only sort of an expert for 15 minutes in the mid 80s.
    I got a yeast type infection that resembled whooping cough. Was over it and got an antibiotic for a gum infection and had a bad relapse. My son was given the same antibiotic for his whooping cough even though the blood test said it was not pertussis so evidently the yeast mimic. That same antibiotic did the same thing to him. Had a hard time convincing my wife to stop giving him the pills.
    At that time a safer noncellular vaccine was being used in Japan, the type used in the US was banned in several European countries because of the adverse side effects. What is being used now is evidently safer. Too much research needed, besides having to sift through false info.

On the last note that I know, that mimic whooping cough was scary, trying to get a breath between coughs was difficult, you were tried to suck some air in between coughs thus the whoop. Took a lot of concentration to get a breath so each episode you were not sure if you were going to make it. So real pertussis has got to be equally tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    Probably 30 years ago a friend returned from a volunteer stint at the Masanga Leprosy Hospital in Sierra Leone. The hospital had an obsolete autoclave that needed a door seal. They had a used one for a sample, so we made a mold and made several replacements from silicone rubber. Making a collar like they need can't be much more challenging and this group between us can make most anything.

How about it?

Masanga Hospital - Wikipedia

Bill
    I'd be in.
    My sense is they need run parts too, not just the neck collars. But between the bunch here, we *can* (and probably have) made anything.
    -Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not unsympathetic toward people who have had bad reactions to vaccines, and there have been some, comparing that to the number of people who avoided these diseases, the numbers are all in favor of the vaccines. There were even a few cases of polio apparently caused by the vaccines, but I remember the polio epidemics too well. One day when I was around 10 or 11, I was playing with a neighbor boy who was about 7, the usual things kids do. We had a rope and were swinging around from each end. That night he developed back pains and said that I had jerked the rope and injured him. His parents were smart enough to not leave it at that and took him to a hospital where they did a spinal tap that showed polio bugs. He recovered and looked normal but was never much of an athlete after that. When I was in my twenties, knowing someone who was deformed by polio was sort of normal. Similarly, when I was in school, the childhood diseases were normal. One year they closed the grade school, although they really didn't need to because we all had chicken pox and there was no one left to give it to.

Re iron lung parts, I suggest we contact the people making them now and offer assistance.

Bill

14. Likes JoeE., Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh...
    Having had shingles and knowing a friend blind in one eye because of it...
    Get the shingles shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More plague rats touturing kids...
    39 confirmed cases of whooping cough in Missoula | KECI
    Montana lawmakers kill 3 vaccine-related bills
    House Bill 575 would prohibit the department from mandating that daycare providers require employees or enrollees to have immunizations.

The debate came down the risk to public health versus violations of personal liberties.

“I’ve already been labeled as an anti-vaxxer, but this is not anti-vax. This is a pro-choice bill,” Dunn said.

The choice to torture your kids an people that can’t be protected.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Funny that you mention whooping cough. In the Mid 80s when my son was born there were some "hot" batches of DPT vaccine. There were clusters of reactions in areas that would make you think either a bad batch came from the manufacturer or a lot was mishandled.
    Besides the local reaction and flu like symptoms the bad cases developed a seizure disorder. A friend shared the tape of her inlaws interview on TV. The boy had progressed since the
    They had also "hot" influenza vaccinations in here less than 10 years ago. Some 200 cases where mostly kids developed narcolepsy after the vaccination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't do flu vaccines... but I'm 29 and healthy and haven't been actually sick in 5 years so fuck that. The flu isn't polio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't do flu vaccines... but I'm 29 and healthy and haven't been actually sick in 5 years so fuck that. The flu isn't polio.
    Small pox, diphtheria, typhoid, cholera, and plague were gone before I came on the scene because of vaccination and sanitation, but I remember polio, measles, whooping cough, chicken pox, scarlet fever, and many others that did not have a high mortality rate but were sometimes fatal. The researchers went after the worst first, then cleaned up most of the others. In 1918-19 the Spanish flu deaths are difficult to pin down because of the great numbers and poor record keeping but estimates run between 50 and 100 million.

Before the present nonsense, most of these diseases were almost completely eliminated from the US, largely because of vaccinations. Since they are not circulating for you to catch, you can be a healthy ignorant shithead.

Bill

20. Likes tdmidget, jrmach, Gordon Heaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Short of getting the stomach flu, which isn't influenza at all, I don't remember being sick in my 20's at all.

But yet that's exactly who the 1918 influenza killed...the healthy people.

And it wasn't the influenza, it was the post influenza pneumonia that killed you.

Your body use all of it's ass kicking energy to kill off the influenza virus, then, when your body wanted to recover, the pneumonia took hold and killed you. Meanwhile, the otherwise "unhealthy" people took their time nursing the influenza, and didn't wear their immune system out completely.

There's more to it than that, but that gives you a jist of how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have several friends in the medical field from EMT's to Doctors... non of them disagree with vaccines except the flu, that is the only place their opinions differ at all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kustomizingkid, the debate over the flu vaccine is a little deeper since most healthcare workers don't get a choice about whether or not they get the flu vaccine. Many places have policies such that it if you don't get the vaccine, you loose your job. And the debate is further nuanced. These places are forcing flu vaccines to prevent healthcare workers from transmitting flu to their patients. The evidence for the vaccine is to prevent someone from contracting symptomatic influenza, not halting the transmission of it. That debate opens a whole new can of worms and is kinda separate from the other vaccines. Many healthcare workers have strong feelings for and against the forced flu vaccination policies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    Small pox, diphtheria, typhoid, cholera, and plague were gone before I came on the scene because of vaccination and sanitation, but I remember polio, measles, whooping cough, chicken pox, scarlet fever, and many others that did not have a high mortality rate but were sometimes fatal. The researchers went after the worst first, then cleaned up most of the others. In 1918-19 the Spanish flu deaths are difficult to pin down because of the great numbers and poor record keeping but estimates run between 50 and 100 million.

Before the present nonsense, most of these diseases were almost completely eliminated from the US, largely because of vaccinations. Since they are not circulating for you to catch, you can be a healthy ignorant shithead.

Bill
    We still have a few cases of plague in Colorado because prairie dogs carry it.
    The family dog will bring a sick one home and the fleas will do the rest.
    On the up side it’s easily treatable.

As you say, sanitation is big, but really for bacterial and parasites as opposed to viral infections.

Cool thing, Guinea Worm is almost extinct thanks to Jimmy Carter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a kid growing up I remember all the stories and pictures. In the early 60’s we got the vaccines at school.