What's new
What's new

Iscar ITS bore/D'Andrea boring head through coolant delivery

WLamb

Plastic
My work is looking into purchasing a new boring head and we are leaning towards Iscars ITS bore system. The two heads in question are the MB50-80x94
(ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - BHFI MB50-MB80 : 4550266 - BHFI MB50-80X94)

and MB50-50x60
(ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - BHFI MB16-MB50 : 4550264 - BHFI MB50-50X60)

from researching and talking with our rep I understand that both of these heads are TSC, but I am still not 100 percent clear on how the coolant is delivered- i see that both heads have what appears to be a nozzle on the body which can be aimed at the tool, but on the smaller MB50-50x60 head does the coolant also come through the center bore of the head and through the bar itself? If anyone that has first hand experience with these heads could enlighten me it would be much appreciated. thank you in advance

My work is looking into purchasing a new boring head and we are leaning towards Iscars ITS bore system. The two heads in question are the MB50-80x94
(ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - BHFI MB50-MB80 : 4550266 - BHFI MB50-80X94)

and MB50-50x60
(ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - BHFI MB16-MB50 : 4550264 - BHFI MB50-50X60)

from researching and talking with our rep I understand that both of these heads are TSC, but I am still not 100 percent clear on how the coolant is delivered- i see that both heads have what appears to be a nozzle on the body which can be aimed at the tool, but on the smaller MB50-50x60 head does the coolant also come through the center bore of the head and through the bar itself? If anyone that has first hand experience with these heads could enlighten me it would be much appreciated. thank you in advance

I use these a lot.

First off, these are D'Andrea heads licensed by Iscar rather than vice versa, accordingly you can find out a whole lot more about the system by looking in D'Andrea's catalogue than you can from looking at the Iscar site.

I will check in the morning to make sure, but I'm fairly certain the coolant is indeed routed through the bar on the smaller heads as well as through the body.

I have bodies down to 20mm so I mainly use them with cartridges and really only use the bars for very small holes.

I've only used the larger heads, but it is as Gregor says. You get a small plastic ball that you can aim in the general direction of the tool tip. It seems a little chinchy of a solution given the brand/price of them. It doesn't work so well when you have to use them with larger bars that go past the head diameter very far.

First time I used the through spindle coolant on one machine with a 1000 PSI booster, I thought it was going to shoot that poor ball out.

I use these a lot.

First off, these are D'Andrea heads licensed by Iscar rather than vice versa, accordingly you can find out a whole lot more about the system by looking in D'Andrea's catalogue than you can from looking at the Iscar site.

I will check in the morning to make sure, but I'm fairly certain the coolant is indeed routed through the bar on the smaller heads as well as through the body.

I have bodies down to 20mm so I mainly use them with cartridges and really only use the bars for very small holes.

That'd be great if you can check that out. Coolant through the bar is pretty much the deciding factor on which of those heads to get- the larger head with the dovetail connection looks like it could be more versatile and covers a larger range bore sizes but for the smaller stuff I'd definitely prefer to have the coolant through the bar if that's how the smaller head is set up.

That'd be great if you can check that out. Coolant through the bar is pretty much the deciding factor on which of those heads to get- the larger head with the dovetail connection looks like it could be more versatile and covers a larger range bore sizes but for the smaller stuff I'd definitely prefer to have the coolant through the bar if that's how the smaller head is set up.

So I checked just now, and I can confirm that the coolant is routed through bar on the 50x60.

There are other considerations besides the coolant routing that you should factor into your decision.

These heads obviously work just fine with bars, but they are really designed to be used with cartridges and extensions, so that the head itself is down inside the bore. They make them down to 16mm for that reason.

I have pretty much a full range of these and like I said I only ever use the bars for very small holes. Using a big head for small holes has some real disadvantages in that there is massively reduced access to features, and you become rpm limited due to balance.

So I checked just now, and I can confirm that the coolant is routed through bar on the 50x60.

There are other considerations besides the coolant routing that you should factor into your decision.

These heads obviously work just fine with bars, but they are really designed to be used with cartridges and extensions, so that the head itself is down inside the bore. They make them down to 16mm for that reason.

I have pretty much a full range of these and like I said I only ever use the bars for very small holes. Using a big head for small holes has some real disadvantages in that there is massively reduced access to features, and you become rpm limited due to balance.
Right, there is definitely a compromise with rpm and clearance with bigger heads, we'll keep that in mind. Thanks for confirming that head is coolant through the bar, thats a big help

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Back