What's new
What's new

iso 32, 46 or 68 for import gearhead lathe?

Cleancut

Aluminum
Hi guys looks to change the oils in the headstock, gear box, and apron in a import 14x40 lathe.

should I be going with the thinner iso 32? it spins upto 2000RPM.

thanks for any input.

I'm not sure what it started with, and it's not in the manual. I just received the lathe and want to perform some maintenance. The oil is getting a tad dark.

Typical spec is something like ISO 46 in the head stock, way lube in the apron.

I run Mobil Vactra 2 in the apron and DTE 25 in the headstock of my similar sized lathe.

Harrison M300, 13X40, splash lube, is iso 32 in the sealed threading gearbox, iso 68 everywhere else. The apron has a hand pump to lube the ways.
Bill D

32 in gearbox and headstock. 68 for ways.

Also don't do it half assed, if you are doing a changeout then clean the headstock out properly, but then again no idea why guys opt to changeout fully if everything seems in good condition?

How do you know the oil is "a tad dark"? If you have opened the headstock and see issues then go for it, if nothing is wrong then just top it up. Guys fret way too much about machine tools. If you know what you are doing/hearing/feeling then it is a no brainer if you need to change it out. Oil does have an operating life span but generally the MTB's make the intervals for changeout so that they can cover themselves.

Guys fret way too much about machine tools.
Think I could get away with ISO 46 everywhere?

I'm hearing ya!!

Just running 46 on everything. Punch presses, lathe, gear head in the mill/drill. With exception to the lathe ways where I run some light machine oil on the ways as I go.

Everything except the presses is Asian import stuff and leaks a fair bit. Recon 32 would prob leak out faster.

My Korean 16x40 specs ISO 32 for the headstock and Vactra 2 everywhere else.
I bought a 5 gal bucket from Tractor Supply for cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Little update,

as far as the guys saying to leave it alone, I hear ya, but I've always been big on taking care of my stuff. I did pull the top cover off the headstock. The oil is darker, definitely not like new gold oil. You can also see some fine metal particulate probably because the oil has never been changed since new (10 year old machine)

I called Grizzly and another manufacture and asked them about what oil to run. Both of the lathes from these two manufacturers are basically the same design as with a lot of the import stuff.

interestingly both of there tech support staff recommended different oil.

Grizzly said iso 32 in the headstock and iso 68 in the gear box and apron.

the other similar manufacturer said iso 68 in the headstock and SAE 30 in the gear box and apron.

I think ill probably be ok with 46 everywhere. seems to depend who you ask.

Back