What's new
What's new

Italian milling machine

I recently acquired an Italian horizontal milling machine made by GRAZIANO LUDOR. It's a beast weighing in around 6K lbs and has a universal table, roughly 12 X 54 inches. The surface of the table is in excellent condition as are all the bearing surfaces of the machine including the presence of hand scrapeing (sp?) marks.

It has a CAT 40 taper in the spindle as does the vertical head.

It is missing the arbor support, which I plan to build from an aluminum weldiment or maybe a billet depending on what I can find. It does have an unusual angle on the dovetail of the overarm, 55 degrees instead of the standard 60 or 45 degree angle one typically finds.

I would like to find a machine manual and have searched online including lathes.uk and have come up empty. There are some lathe manuals, but nothing for a mill.

Several years ago I visited some Italian machine tool builders as a guest of the Italian trade Commission and was very impressed with the quality of their products, on par with anything the Germans or Swiss were producing.

So if anyone happens to have a GRAZIANO LUDOR milling machine manual, or knows where to find one I would really appreciate being directed in the right direction.

That would have to be the same people who made Graziano lathes. My lathe is labelled Graziano, Tortona which is a city in Italy, presumably where the lathe factory was.

That would have to be the same people who made Graziano lathes. My lathe is labelled Graziano, Tortona which is a city in Italy, presumably where the lathe factory was.

I see you've used the word "was" when referring to the factory location. Was it liquidated or was it taken over by another company?

Graziano started in 1940, they were bought by Gildemeister in 2000 which went on to become part of DMG: Deckel, Maho, Gildemeister which then went on to become part of DMG Mori.

Yes. Researched a while back. ISTR what "remained" of what had been Graziano lathes and mills was by then concentrated on only live-tooling assemblies.... or something like that.

But had no historical records still in their custody.

"AFAIK".

There probably ARE such in private hands.. somewhere in EUROPE. Perhaps even LATAM or Sewth Effrika. Graziano surely exported.

Just not primarily to North America.

The only tag on the mill is one from I.M.U.T. Export indicating it was approved for export by the Italian Machine Tool Manufacturing Association or similar entity. A fellow member of another machining forum identified the make & model. I'll have to figure out how to post pics on this site.

Not relevant to the OP's question other than topic title.

Reading a book or article about Maserati history, there had been one point where they were apparently building some of their own machine tools and there was a photo of a mill looking a lot like a Cincinnati vertical but with "Maserati" on the head. I always thought that would be kind of hip to have in the shop. Leaving one wondering if the machine would refuse to work on a Ford cylinder head or any of that other crap furrin' iron.

a maserati mill would likely be a work of art.... designed by bertone or pininfarina. just don't expect it to not have
electrical issues, overheat, stall when it rains, leak oil and fuel , the parts would be from fiat lancia and alfa .

Back