Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jacobs #1 taper adapter

Hi Everyone, I am a new forum member, and just purchased an antique drill press and need some help. the spindle is a single piece ending in a Jacobs #1 taper and came with a 0-1/4" Jacobs 1A chuck. I have done a bit of research online as well as this forum and cannot find if there is any simple way to adapt the spindle taper to a #33 Jacobs that will allow me to use 1/2" capacity chucks.

I am NOT going to use this with any lateral loads, just simple straight drilling. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Roger

img_0149.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone have an answer?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see a nut above the tapper, what thread is that? You could make an adapter to 1/2-20 thread and fit one of these chucks. McMaster-Carr

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never seen anything with that taper that went larger than 1/4" and I suspect the reason there's no adapters is because those were light duty drill presses and JT33 is normally associated with 1/2" chucks.

Read some of the warnings in this thread about what can happen when you mount an oversize chuck.

Jacobs taper adapter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jacobs 31-01 is a 3/8 chuck with a 1JT taper. Its the largest 1JT chuck that I know of.

6. Likes reodds liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Putting a 1/2" chuck on a machine probably designed for a 1/4" chuck does not sound like a great idea.

8. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for the info. As I said, I am just drilling with the press, no side loads at all, at low speed. The drill press itself is an antique Hamilton Sensitive drill press, and is far from light duty. It was probably setup for production drilling in small stock which explains the 1JT and 1/4" chuck.

I ordered a Jacobs 31-01, which will at least allow larger than 1/4" drill sizes. I will not be using the press for heavy duty drilling, mostly light aluminum and perhaps occasionally wood.

Thanks again!

Roger

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reodds View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. As I said, I am just drilling with the press, no side loads at all, at low speed. The drill press itself is an antique Hamilton Sensitive drill press, and is far from light duty. It was probably setup for production drilling in small stock which explains the 1JT and 1/4" chuck.

I ordered a Jacobs 31-01, which will at least allow larger than 1/4" drill sizes. I will not be using the press for heavy duty drilling, mostly light aluminum and perhaps occasionally wood.

Thanks again!

Roger
    Kinda flip flopping eh ?
    Need Help Identifying Drill Press

As you were told in the "I.D. thread", that machine is fine as it is, get another DP for your 1/2" capacity chuck.

11. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your plan for light-duty work is fine, but in reality it won't work. You will drill a hole on the edge of a small part and the bit will catch and the part will be spinning on the bit. That will side load the chuck and may bend the spindle.