What's new
What's new

Jacobs chuck key No 12 &14 with helical teeth.

traytopjohnny

Stainless
I was at the flea market today, as usual and I picked up a Jacobs drill chuck Key which has a tee bar and is quite long, looks like it would operate about a 1/2" chuck but it has helical teeth. I have never seen one (And I have seen a lot of chucks). This has No. 12&14 stamped on it. What does the chuck look like? John

Jim C. Emailed me several days ago with great pictures. I believe I have seen chucks like this with the two rows of knurls for sale at various flea markets but I never bought them as they (due to their age and state of abuse) have never atttracted me enough to purchase them. When I see one in the future I may buy it. Any idea as to the vintage of such a chuck? John

I have a #14S Super Chuck.0"to 1/2".On the nose of the chuck,It says Pat Sept 16,1902,Jan 26,09 & Jan 5,15.
On the knurled body,it says #14S Jacobs Spiral Gear Chuck.Pat Feb 17.25.
It's in great condition,probably cause someone lost the key.
Called the company that took over Jacobs and the lady that answered said they had no record of ever making the chuck.Also no key.
My chuck is almost as useful as your key.
Seems like my chuck has a morse chuck taper mount,but I don't remember the number of the shank taper.
Do you need a chuck?
George

Interesting. What I can't figure out is WHY. If it is tightened in the same direction as most chucks, then it would seem that the key would be pulled into the chuck while tightening but it would have a tendency to be forced OUT of the chuck when you are trying to open it. So you can apply more force when tightening but less when opening it. That does not seem to make sense.

So why did they go to the trouble of cutting spiral, bevel gear teeth on the chuck and key? If I am not wrong, that is one of the hardest gear sets to cut so there must have been a good reason for it. Even if they only approximated that tooth form, it is still more trouble than a standard bevel tooth form. And you certainly do not have the requirements of the automotive world here.

Not to beat an old thread to death, but I also have one of these chucks without a key.

I started a WTB in the tooling section, but no responces

I also tried calling Jacobs and they tried looking in old literature but no luck.

I've seen small gear sets with spiral/helical form, but I don't have the experience with gearing to figure out what might be a "drive" gear/ "pinion" that would fit
With the right gear, it would be relatively easy to make a working key

1928 buffalo forge /camel back drill press

heres what the key fits I still need a key for it,Ron

Attachments

• DSC03286.jpg
    DSC03286.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 132
jacobs 12s &14s chuck key

I have a 1928 buffalo forge 10" camelback drill press that has this chuck,would love to find a key Ron

Attachments

• DSC03286.jpg
    DSC03286.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33

Back