Jacobs Chucks - Worth the price of repair? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laverda View Post
    All Jacobs chucks for the last few years at least have been made in China. The quality is not good.
    You can say that again. Jacobs is a far cry from what they used to be. I'd be embarrassed if I was the one who made the decision to send them to China. Complete trash nowadays.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Jacobs is a far cry from what they used to be.
    I'm kinda sooprized by all you guys crying over a crappy keyed chuck. They were always trashy. Good for grabbing a hole saw that you knew was going to grab then spin and you didn't want to screw up your nice chucks. I went to Albrecht in 1976 and never looked back ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a "PYH" drill chuck that is keyed and ball bearing. Who made it?

Tom

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    I have a "PYH" drill chuck that is keyed and ball bearing. Who made it?
    Paul Hofer, maybe ? No idea what his middle name is. Y u wanna know ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why are people crying over crappy keyed chucks EG? Because there's damned good reason to not and never use something like an Albrecht in very high torque conditions. Hole saws, larger taps, S&D type drills etc. There not made nor are they recommended for that use even by Albrecht because of there built in self tightening design. I've never once needed anything more than one hand to tighten or loosen my Albrecht because I don't abuse it. With any of the above situations that's when a good keyed chuck or collet is needed instead of a keyless. At high levels of torque a keyless can self tighten enough to permanently deform the internals and up to complete and permanent chuck lock up. I love the one Albrecht I have, but it still can't do everything a keyed chuck can. And all keyed chucks were always trashy? Not in my experience. If they can make accurate keyless then why would the same not be true of a good keyed chuck with much less parts count?

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal mach View Post
    Hole saws, larger taps, S&D type drills etc.
    Yup, that's pretty much what I meant. You don't usually have to worry about .001" runout using any of that stuff. Keyed chucks are good for certain kinds of work but fine corinthian leather they ain't. I can't see getting all excited about them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fciron View Post
    A 1/2" reduced shank drill in a 1/2" keyless chuck will lock up like it's been welded in.
    Gotta keep your keyless chucks really well lubed. Spray your chuck with WD or some other oil and I bet won't lock up as bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Paul Hofer, maybe ? No idea what his middle name is. Y u wanna know ?
    Cause you can charge more on Ebay that way.

Or might just wanna know what they have. One or the other. Maybe both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

recently bought a new jacobs chuck and honestly thought it was a fake chinese copy until I learned that they're made in china these days and that it was in fact the real deal. Out of all the companies that moved production overseas, their products have to be one of the most alarming in terms of quality falling off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersteez View Post
    recently bought a new jacobs chuck and honestly thought it was a fake chinese copy until I learned that they're made in china these days and that it was in fact the real deal. Out of all the companies that moved production overseas, their products have to be one of the most alarming in terms of quality falling off.
    I would agree. I have several older Made In The USA Jacobs models, and was looking for another the size of the 18N a year or so ago. I looked at the Jacobs and was shocked how cheaply they were built and the amount of money they wanted for them. For the quality they are way over priced.

I ended up with a new in the box Taiwanese made Golden Goose for less than 1/3 the cost of a new 18N. It isn't the same quality as the older Jacobs chucks, but it's far better than those currently being made. Fortunately there are still reasonably priced sources for rebuild kits and replacement parts for the older Jacobs chucks.

11. Likes tylersteez liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if you are talking cnc or manual, but these are (used to be?) pretty damn good.

Keyless Drill Chucks - Techniks CNC Machine Tooling

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I'm kinda sooprized by all you guys crying over a crappy keyed chuck. They were always trashy. Good for grabbing a hole saw that you knew was going to grab then spin and you didn't want to screw up your nice chucks. I went to Albrecht in 1976 and never looked back ...
    I'm not crying about it, merely stating a fact. They are a shadow of what they once were.
    As a lot of others on here, I started out on engine lathes and bridgeports, a good Jacobs chuck was mandatory and a crucial component.
    It was like a Kurt vise, every shop had a Jacobs chuck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Off topic, People keep talking about chucking up hole saws in drill chucks. I make one of these for both hole saw threads (1/2-20, 5/8-18) and they are way better than chucking the shank that comes with the hole saws in a drill chuck. I made them out of hex so I could put a wrench on them to loosen but I haven't yet needed to, just stick a screwdriver is the slot and pop it with your palm.

20200714_153104.jpg 20200714_152938.jpg