What's new
What's new

Jacobs Rubber-Flex Collet Chuck in D1-4?

beeser

Cast Iron
A friend of mine has a Jacobs Rubber-Flex Collet Chuck that I thought might be useful to own. Were these made in D1-4? There are plenty of them available online but I haven't found one in D1-4.

I have not the best experience with those, compared to real collets-They Suck!

They work fine as long as the work extends through the whole length of the collet. Their major advantage is that they work across a size range, as opposed to a precise size of a conventional collet.

The one listed by Bob was already sold. Well, at least I know they exist and where to look.

They work fine as long as the work extends through the whole length of the collet. Their major advantage is that they work across a size range, as opposed to a precise size of a conventional collet.
In addition to a large number of 5C collets, I have a Jacobs Rubber Flex "variable-size" collet system as well as a Pratt-Burnerd Multisize system. The P-B has the advantage of working over a wider range than the Jacobs (0.063"-1.50" vs. 0.10"-1.06"). The disadvantage of both is they either require a rubber plug of approximately the size of the part, or that the part extend most of the way through the collet. Although I'll reach for a 5C first if I have a collet that fits, the advantage of variable collets is they fit all Imperial and metric (and random) sizes between the extremes. For me, the advantage far outweighs the disadvantage at times when they're needed.

Back