Jakobsen 1032 cross feed problems

• Thread starter Luke.kerbey
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1,808
L

Luke.kerbey

Hi all,

I’ve got a jakobsen 1032 automatic down surface grinder.

It has a couple problems with the cross slide when in feed. When the table is closest to the column the table gets stuck after a certain point about 50mm from end of travel. Also when the table is closest to operator side the table jumps up or the head bumps down about 0.01mm. The problem can be overcome by limiting the table travel about 2 inches at both ends. But this isn’t helpful when grinding wider parts.

Has any one done much work on these grinders that is able to shed some light?

Or even if someone can dig out the manual or maintenance literature that would be a good start!

I have a jakobsen and I think it is the 1032, but I am away frim it at the moment. I also have a manual.
Have you got the cross feed handwheel wound in so the table is right in towards the column, with the cross feed hydraulic knob in fast feed towards the column. Also is the system purged of air with plenty of hydraulic oil in the tank as the ram takes quite a lot. Not back home for 2 weeks, but you can pm me and i will get a copy of the manual to you. Where are you based?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, see the abrasive machining forum as I duplicated the post, it has all the pictures of what I found. The short of the long is that I found that there is a bent cross slide rod.

Oh and thanks for the manual offer, I dug deep in the paper cupboard and found the manual and the spare parts catalogue which helpfully gives cut section views of the rams, spindle etc...

Is there plenty of hydraulic oil in the tank? Also is the cross feed handle in rapid with the handwheel wound clockwise towards the column? Cross feed table locks aren't on are they?

I checked all that, the rod for the cross feed cylinder is bent and is getting stuck in the cylinder piston and bush and possible pulling tight the saddle on to the slide, I only found this out by disconnecting the cylinder keep plate, pushing the saddle back to the column and feeding the cylinder out to reveal the chromed surface, which was worn through on one side

How does it run in manual? Sounds like air in system and it has stick slip. I would suggest you pull it apart and clean it, check the lube system and scraping. Take some photos' please.

See the duplicated thread in the abrasive forum, it has the photos of the ram that’s bent, it works in manual fine, when the ram is detached and then run full travel , both ways it mimics what happens when the table is connected

I didn't read all the posts, but did you loosen the end of the hydraulic rod and tighten it up to tight?? If you did you probably did not align it properly and it binds up now. If I were you I would do as Ballen suggested and dismantle the hydraulic cylinder and open it up. a simple way to test the rod would be to roll it on a surface plate like they do to check a pool cue on a pool table. If not lay a steel scale next to it . Them mike it and see how bad the wear is. If it is bent you may want to buy a new chromed rod and cut and thread it if you can't buy a new one. You will want to replace the seals too. A double lips or Chevron Is what you have I bet. It is difficult to troubleshoot issues with such little info. When you do align it again move the cylinder in as close to the end bracket before tightening the double nuts. The double nuts leave the nuts loose approx. .010" so the nut end will float.

No, the story is that the machine has been like this for atleast 10 years (I’ve been there for 1 year) and anyone who has used it has just accepted that the machine doesn’t grind properly flat and that a lot of time is wasted while the cylinder gets wedged in while grinding larger width work. I tried loosening the keep plate to allow the rod to centre itself but this won’t work as the cylinder fits are damaged.

The only way to fix this is to refurb the cylinder and to get the way ground back and refit the cylinder height. But my manager has not given me permission to start doing that yet. The rod is made of two parts screwed between the piston and as far as I can find only the front rod has it’s chrome rubbed off.

Thanks for all your replies though, and for the record Jakobsen still supply all the original parts for this machine. Just in case anyone is wondering for future reference!

Hi,
I'm also having problems with my Jakobsen 1032 grinder. The table is over travelling from left to right when i try to run it. I thought the proximity sensors could be at fault but after testing the two of them they are fine. Is there any possibility you would have a second copy of that manual? Thanks in advance.

Back