Jet JVM-840 vertical mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

britzinger

Plastic
Jet JVM-840 Vertical Mill
120VAC 1.5HP motor
table travel 22" x 7.5"

I am helping an elderly computer-illiterate friend clean out his workshop.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much this mill is worth?
It would be cash-and-carry and the buyer would need to load it themselves.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 428
  • mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 191
get ready, some on here are right now typing a rude response to your post trashing the machine as garbage, but your motives seem good, so don't take it personally. Id say if its in good condition, no significant wear and fully operating, about 400.00, unless there is more tooling.

Where a tool is located has a lot to do with value--I'd certainly hold out for more than 400 bucks for that thing.
Around here that would be a 1500-2000 dollar machine...

Not quite,Chinese prices have gone up considerable recently,not just due to the white haired ones tariffs.......all the small Chinese foundrys have been closed down for pollution mitigation......any hoo,the 1.5 -2k would be Canukistan pesos,similar in value to Ozistan pesos ,or should I say...rapidly diminishing value.

Concur with John, the best you will get new for $1500 to 2K is a benchtop Chinese mill. Those scaled down BPs are around $4k. The OPs mill will easily get 1500-2K in New England. Those 3/4 scale BP clones are desirable and hard to find compared to a round column mill drill, but all are rare in the used market. Hobbiests don't like moving a real BP, which are plentiful in NE from that price to way more. Suggestion to the OP is clean it up and have it under power and look at CL and FB marketplace for comparables.

It all depends. Not all Jet branded machines are created equal. I have a 14 x 30 3PH lathe that was made in Taiwan in 1975. I have owned it for 25 years and while it is no longer used 24-7 it gets weekly use and has never had an issue. It seems what they throw the Jet label on has went downhill over the years. Before passing judgement I would ask year and country of manufacture. Also as others said timing and location matter. If there isn't anything similar within 500 miles on Craigslist or E-bay the price goes up, if there is a local glut of them the price drops exponentially.

If that is the mill plugged into a wall socket the 110 volt single phase set-up might make it more valuable to a hobbyist. Also the brand of vise will mean something, I doubt it is a Kurt or similar. Without tooling or a DRO I would say in a typical market it would be worth about $1250 or so. It appears to be an older Jet so it is probably better made than the recent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back