Jet vertical mill parts - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ptsmith View Post
    Most of the guys on this forum are pros and have little to no interest in anything hobby level. Try The Hobby-Machinist

PS: I don't think you're going to find parts for a Jet anywhere other than Jet.
    You should say, most here think they are PRO because when you look at these kinds of Thread or post, you always find out that again and again and again, always those same members post the same shit over and over again but, they like it that way I suppose.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ostie01 View Post
    You should say, most here think they are PRO because when you look at these kinds of Thread or post, you always find out that again and again and again, always those same members post the same shit over and over again but, they like it that way I suppose.

Pretty sure most of the guys in this thread are professionals in the machine tool industry. Busting people's stones doesn't change that.

3. Likes digger doug, Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Pretty sure most of the guys in this thread are professionals in the machine tool industry. Busting people's stones doesn't change that.
    Pros don't act like that, Pros mind their own business or they help others, they don't act like ¨know it all¨. Pros don't blame the machine, they blame themselves.

I mean real PROS

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pros don't act like that, Pros mind their own business or they help others, they don't act like ¨know it all¨. Pros don't blame the machine, they blame themselves.

I mean real PROS
    What planet are you from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What planet are you from?
    Probably somewhere you do not know about.

I've been in this trade for more than 35 years, this do not give me an excuse to act like a jerk.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been in this trade for more than 35 years, this do not give me an excuse to act like a jerk.
    I'd guess ostie is an American... not a self centered prick....
    I am a professional in another field. I don't act like that in my field, but I am pretty highly regarded... maybe that is why.
    Anyway... thanks for all the helpful input.
    If this is how this forum is, no need to put much stock into it.
    Wags

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well good for you, every shop I've been in has had quite the ball Buster's. Plenty of knowledge gets passed on too. Nothing would get done if it didn't. I work with a 2 guys in their 70s, and they dish it out and take it on a regular basis...but they also give great advise as well. Are they not professional? Am I not professional because I bust balls, even though I give meaningful advice here and at work? It's a rough crowd here, if you don't have the wherewithal to wade through us busting balls and see the actual advise then I don't know what to tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Am I not professional because I bust balls, even though I give meaningful advice here and at work? It's a rough crowd here, if you don't have the wherewithal to wade through us busting balls and see the actual advise then I don't know what to tell you.
    I thought only PROS could be on this forum like you said. Busting some balls mean nothing but, if you do it because you think this make you feel good, that's another story. I'm a member of many other forums and this is the only one where some peoples act like they are superior to everybody else by posting some shit. A joke here and there is just something funny, if this was what you were thinking.

10. Likes Wagspe208 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagspe208 View Post
    Anyway... thanks for all the helpful input.
    If this is how this forum is, no need to put much stock into it.
    Wags
    You can buy a generic hand wheel and make changes to the bore.

You're lucky to have lasted this long especially with the word "Jet" in the title. Normally a thread with the mention of a import machine gets closed.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought only PROS could be on this forum like you said. Busting some balls mean nothing but, if you do it because you think this make you feel good, that's another story. I'm a member of many other forums and this is the only one where some peoples act like they are superior to everybody else by posting some shit. A joke here and there is just something funny, if this was what you were thinking.

I've got over 35 years running shops in 7 countries and ALL of them learned if you're going to be a PRO you need to have some thick skin and take in what you dish out. Shit, I've go 20 year old Chinese girls in charge of the 5X department that has thicker skin than this fella!

He made three mistakes:
    1. He didn't read the forum guidelines, obviously, the one stating this site is for professionals only. He already said he was not a machinist.
    2. He used the word "Billet" to describe a piece of material. That's a newb giveaway right there. To "Pro's" this is like scratching a chalk board. The only people who use that term are the car kids that watch too much TV.
    3. Then he said he had a "Jet" mill. Once again, goes against the guidelines set by Don when he founded, developed, oh,, and payed for this site. Had the guy read the rules he wouldn't have tossed himself into the lions den by mentioning a hobby machine.

That being said, Had he taken his licks and responded like he had some balls and not so sarcastically I could have sent him that part tomorrow morning (12 hours ahead of USA east coast here). I'm going to be at Jing Xi machinery in Taiwan tomorrow (Where Jet, Acra, Micro-cut, and probably a dozen other brands are made). I'm sure they would just give me a couple of housings for free and I could drop them at air-21 and he would have had fresh raw castings by Tuesday morning for the price of a $20 shipping box.

13. Likes cyanidekid, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I've got over 35 years running shops in 7 countries and ALL of them learned if you're going to be a PRO you need to have some thick skin and take in what you dish out. Shit, I've go 20 year old Chinese girls in charge of the 5X department that has thicker skin than this fella!

He made three mistakes:
    1. He didn't read the forum guidelines, obviously, the one stating this site is for professionals only. He already said he was not a machinist.
    2. He used the word "Billet" to describe a piece of material. That's a newb giveaway right there. To "Pro's" this is like scratching a chalk board. The only people who use that term are the car kids that watch too much TV.
    3. Then he said he had a "Jet" mill. Once again, goes against the guidelines set by Don when he founded, developed, oh,, and payed for this site. Had the guy read the rules he wouldn't have tossed himself into the lions den by mentioning a hobby machine.

That being said, Had he taken his licks and responded like he had some balls and not so sarcastically I could have sent him that part tomorrow morning (12 hours ahead of USA east coast here). I'm going to be at Jing Xi machinery in Taiwan tomorrow (Where Jet, Acra, Micro-cut, and probably a dozen other brands are made). I'm sure they would just give me a couple of housings for free and I could drop them at air-21 and he would have had fresh raw castings by Tuesday morning for the price of a $20 shipping box.
    1. Who read the fucking rules on a forum

2. He used the word "BILLET" Oh my god, this is a real dilemma.

3. He used a banned word -- It's the moderator's job

4. For the wheel, you could had PM the OP and make him an offer, just that simple, no need to write to your
    mom for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4. For the wheel, you could had PM the OP and make him an offer, just that simple, no need to write to your
    mom for that.
    You've now made five posts to this thread trying to "White Knight" for the OP without offering your own solution to his problems. Good work...

To the OP - this is a forum for professional machinists and engineers. All are welcome, but in the same way that you don't walk into a bar that's new to you and demand service you don't come here, pay no attention to the theme of the "bar", and demand answers. Especially when each of us here is a volunteer when it comes to helping and sharing our knowledge.

We do expect new folks to look around, get an idea of what's on tap, and ask reasonable questions without fighting over answers they receive. If you ask for information on replacement machine tool parts, you'll find that outside of eBay and dumb luck on Craigslist, replacement parts for machines are inevitably expensive.

If you don't like that answer and decide a bar fight is in order, you're compounding your problems. Having been in this trade for more than forty years, and here for thirteen, I've seen that about 5% of the new posters go down this "fight me" path. Here's a free tip - it's a stupid approach.

Recognize that nobody here owes you a thing, and what help is available is because members want to see information passed on, newbs educated, and the industry lifted up a tiny bit at a time. Adopt a more receptive attitude and you can learn a lot here. Act like a tough guy and you'll be laughed at and dismissed.

Your choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jet, like a good dozen other importers and resellers here and in europe, makes nothing themselves.
    NONE of their products are true "clones" of any other brand, with interchangeable parts.
    Some resemble other machines more or less closely, but beyind nuts and bolts and common electrical parts, motors and belts, the chances of some other brand's parts interchanging are neglible.
    It could happen- you could win the lottery, too.

Jet was started in the 60s by a Tacoma Wa. Junkyard owner.
    Since then, its gone thru Swiss and now NYC ownership.
    No milling machine factories on wall st.

In short, you chances of finding another brand parts that fit vary wildly.
    Sometimes, a Jet machine, for a few years, was sourced from a big Taiwan or China factory that also sold more or less the same machine to other importers.
    I have had some luck with cross fits on common things- I once had a total POS Grizzly bandsaw that I found an MSC bronze gear fit.
    But my guess is you have two choices:

Pony up for the Jet replacement,
    or
    Make your own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagspe208 View Post
    Well, thanks for the comments from the pricks.
    It is more than fine for me. It was in a fire, the broken part was my doing.
    So, as much as I appreciate sarcasm... go fuck yourselves.
    Wags
    You are off to a great start.

As to your original question, as others here say, I doubt that any internal parts on your Jet would be interchangeable with those from Bridgeport, if for no other reason than the shaft and gears that the worm cradle holds are metric.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve got thick skin. Had a rough life, done stuff I’m not proud of. I’ve made more than one person bleed. I have tried to be a better man for a couple of reasons.
    You want to have life put into perspective, have some health issue that can cause you to drop dead tomorrow.
    So, in the terms of something that matters... internet bs does not. I do appreciate sarcasm. Funny is funny.
    Il leave you professionals be, it’s obvious you believe you are better than me.
    Just remember this, when we draw our last breath, we are all equal.
    That ought to give you a few posts of fun.
    Enjoy.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mom for that.

1. It's obvious you didn't.
    2. When seasoned professionals see someone use "Billet" it's just irritating.
    3. Didn't say its a banned word. Where did you get that assumption from?
    4. Yep, could have had him up and going in just a few days, However, as in this case, he became a dick to someone who could have saved him a bit of $$$. And whats with the letter to mom bit? I have a phone so no need for a letter, quite sure with her 50 years owning a machine shop she could show you where to shove a 2" spade drill.

ostie01, You remind me of a local Canuck we have running around here in Subic. Always shows up at one of my bars or restaurants on special occasions when the drinks and food are free, and then complains if the food is not to his liking or the beers not cold enough and never puts anything positive in the community.

I will literally make one out of billet, spending a crap load of hours, and money, before I get bent over.
    This is a quote from a guy who says he is respected in his trade yet he will spend a "Crap load of hours, and money" to not get bent over!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G-coder, if you are going to be in a machine tool factory, will they let you take pics to post?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    You can buy a generic hand wheel and make changes to the bore.

You're lucky to have lasted this long especially with the word "Jet" in the title. Normally a thread with the mention of a import machine gets closed.
    Where does it say no “Jet”? Serious question, I don’t recall Jet being listed, it’s a import BP clone, so is Acer and Acra, both are as good or better than a real BP, are they banned? What about Okuma or Doosan? Banned because they are imports?? Not busting balls, but the “ thread should be locked because import discussion not allowed” is ignorant
    I totally get why low end cheap crap from Jet or any other importer is not allowed, but the last time someone( I recall it being you) started freaking out about a Jet lathe, it was a 5000# 17x60 manual machine- certainly not home grade crap.!
    If the rules say no Jet, I’m good with it, just show me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Where does it say no “Jet”? Serious question, I don’t recall Jet being listed, it’s a import BP clone, so is Acer and Acra, both are as good or better than a real BP, are they banned? What about Okuma or Doosan? Banned because they are imports?? Not busting balls, but the “ thread should be locked because import discussion not allowed” is ignorant
    I totally get why low end cheap crap from Jet or any other importer is not allowed, but the last time someone( I recall it being you) started freaking out about a Jet lathe, it was a 5000# 17x60 manual machine- certainly not home grade crap.!
    If the rules say no Jet, I’m good with it, just show me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thread: Jet vertical mill parts

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    G-coder, if you are going to be in a machine tool factory, will they let you take pics to post?

Yeah, Most of the time its no problem. These Asian fellers like to think they are getting free publicity, Especially when its by a foreigner. Mmm, Foxconn not so much, they tend to be real pricks when it comes to phones on the shop floors.

Do you want to see shops making other machines or regular shops making parts? Lately it's been a lot of new machine installs but I can take some shots of these places popping out machined castings. I just planted some new Haas VF5/50's with the new 60HP spindles in the Columbus Mckinnon factory ripping up some S7 forgings in Shenzhen but they wont let me get video yet. Maybe next week after all the testing is proofed out....

Hers some recent at Star loading up another six VF2-SS's and the very first (American Made) 5 axis allowed by the U.S. D.H.S. to be sold to China. Yeah, that's another nightmare story.

haas-delivery.jpgdsc_0023.jpgdsc_0003.jpgum750.jpg

I do my best to push American made in Asia......

Some of them don't really like the fact i'm there, If you don't mind the language and a sideways vid you can watch a Chinese driver deliberately crash into the front of my new VF2SS before it even got off the pallet!!!

YouTube

24. Likes Milland, cyanidekid, neanderthal mach liked this post