UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ostie01 View Post
    You seem to have missed post #4 and # 5, scooter
    In fact I didn't, they were slightly antagonizing but nothing out of the ordinary for this forum. It's funny, I was gonna mention those posts but I figured you would see. You should look around, there's plenty of threads like these for you to hone your skills on.

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wondering if you would have better luck getting an answer on the Bridgeport subforum. Those guys know Bridgeport.

Posting that question in the general section is like telling a woman's studies professor to iron your shirt while your manhold is dangling out of your unzipped fly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fitznoodle View Post
    I'm wondering if you would have better luck getting an answer on the Bridgeport subforum. Those guys know Bridgeport.

Posting that question in the general section is like telling a woman's studies professor to iron your shirt while your manhold is dangling out of your unzipped fly.
    No....The OP should read & follow the rules.

and you might want to give it a whirl as well.
    100 total post's and telling us all we are wrong eh ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually, I think the OP's mill is well within the guidelines of the forum. His attitude is the problem. I've caught my share of shit on this forum. I don't let it bother me and don't respond in a way that derails the thread. Consequently I've received tons of help and advice I couldn't have gotten anywhere else.

Forum rules on machines: Machinery Discussion Guidelines

Note this is the is the Manufacturing Forum, not the home shop machinist forum. And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing manual "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools.

Note I said "home shop grade" Larger and/or higher quality Asian machines that might be used in manufacturing or job shop setting are ok to discuss.

The discouragement of HSM grade Asian machine discussion is partially because they have all ready been discussed to death here, and partically because they are not used (or at shouldn't be) in any manufacturing/job shop envirnoments.

For these machines, there are other sites such as the HSM Magazine forum, Chaski forum and various Yahoo Groups that are more appropriate.

========================

UPDATE-

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions

*Hacksaws- anywhere

*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only
    Last edited by Milacron; 01-31-2013 at 08:35 PM.

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ptsmith View Post
    Actually, I think the OP's mill is well within the guidelines of the forum. His attitude is the problem. I've caught my share of shit on this forum. I don't let it bother me and don't respond in a way that derails the thread. Consequently I've received tons of help and advice I couldn't have gotten anywhere else.
    I'm with you on most of what you said.
    I'm just saying that the OP has the right to reply to an aggressive post like everybody else. I'm not sure who has the thicker skin, The OP by replying to a dumb post or those on this forum who can't accept it.

Thin skin are those who get offended by some words like JET or BILLET, for me, I just don't care if someone use those words, but if someone here can't read these words without going crazy, man leave this forum.

8. Likes ptsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagspe208 View Post
    I have a JTM-4VS. variable speed jet mill. I am wondering if the worm gear cradle (jet la-166) is the same as a Bridgeport. The jet is just a Bridgeport copy...
    Jet wants 350 for a new casting. good used Bridgeport stuff out there.. so just wondering if anyone knows.
    Thanks
    OR a source for jet parts that is not going to rape me. I need a couple of knobs and shaft for a jet lathe also.
    Just an FYI, in case you didnt see this earlier. Most of the parts from the BP wont fit in a Jet. Secondly, that part for a BP is $250 so it isnt saving you much.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

10. Likes Wagspe208 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I broke my worm gear housing also. I have to order one. The ear broke off. Pretty brittle parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look up MMTOOLPARTS they have it for $290

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns45 View Post
    I broke my worm gear housing also. I have to order one. The ear broke off. Pretty brittle parts
    I welded mine back together. Preheat entire piece, quick weld, slow cool. It does not have a real load on it. If yours broke like mine, it was one ear. It did not distort enough to have to mess with any of the through holes other than the one for the ear itself.. the least critical.
    Some guys would silicon bronze tig "weld" it together. It is more like gluing it back together as you don't melt the base metal in this case, but plenty strong enough for what it does.
    Or, you could make one out of billet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow, you guys really had wadded up panties with this thread.
    You all spent way more time pondering the rights, wrongs, rules, and who was good and bad than I did.
    Thanks for the help, for those that helped.
    Mill is running great!

PS... if "professionals" like a couple of the clowns on here is what I must be to be "professional", I never will be professional.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagspe208 View Post
    Or, you could make one out of billet.
    Ha! I see what you did there