What's new
What's new

Jeweler Slitting saw speed and feed recommendation

septooth

Plastic
Can anyone recommend speed and feed for a M42 cobalt, 4.000 diameter jeweler slitting saw, 1.000 arbor, .022 thick, 150 teeth. There is a .100 thick 3.000 spacer on each side of the blade to help with rigidity. The material I am cutting is stainless steel. I am making a cutting through a .075 web at .100 deep. This is a continuous cut, there is a .200 gap between each wall to cut through.

Better hope you have some good low end torque, actually it is very thin, you should be fine.
Use flood coolant
120 SFPM
.0002 IPT
Make sure it is running dead true
I wouldn't take more than .1 per pass. Saw is very thin.
Good luck.

Don't freak out if it sounds like you are getting an intermittent cut. This is often the case with a slitting saw regardless of how true everything seems to be.

.0002 IPT

which tooth count do you use. the 3 its going to cut on or the 150 on the cutter?

ok, I see you said make sure it runs dead true, but how is that done? .0002 @ 150 teeth @ 120fpm would be about 115 rpm or 30 thou per rev, or close to 60 thou a second....with .022 cutter?

In my experience, typical manual machines and arbors, because of clearance between the cutter and arbor, they are only going to cut on a few teeth and if you try to feed more than a few teeth can handle, you get a broken cutter. Doesn't apply to stronger cutters where you can create a bit of preload so all the teeth cut

IPT feed is always counting the teeth on the cutter, not how many teeth are cutting. So .0002 x 150 =.03 feed per revolution. If you have some runout that you cannot correct then reduce feed by 1/2. You can always increase feed if it sounds nice and quiet. But if it breaks then it is too late.

I have found the hard way that it is important to get the chips flushed away extremely well when slitting stainless. The chips are very hard due to work-hardening, and can jam in the cut the next time around, ripping off the teeth or breaking the saw body.

IPT feed is always counting the teeth on the cutter, not how many teeth are cutting. S

I was being sarcastic :)

I don't think it would work at your recommended feeds (in the context of a manual mill and typical arbor). I don't know everything and maybe you do it everyday, but seems to me a recipe for a broken cutter given they rarely (never?) cut on all the teeth so that feed rate will be too much for the few they do cut on.

Back