What's new
What's new

Job Satisfaction Inquiry

Sm412

Aluminum
Hi all. So I am satisfied with the awesome responses that I've gotten from you all. I just wanted to do a quick survey to get a better idea of how people feel about this trade.

Do you enjoy your job/profession? What is your overall satisfaction level? What specific industries have you worked in and the positives/negatives of such? What changes would you like to see made, both to your specific job and the industry as a whole?

Thanks.

Hi all. So I am satisfied with the awesome responses that I've gotten from you all. I just wanted to do a quick survey to get a better idea of how people feel about this trade.

Do you enjoy your job/profession? What is your overall satisfaction level? What specific industries have you worked in and the positives/negatives of such? What changes would you like to see made, both to your specific job and the industry as a whole?

Thanks.

I enjoy it a lot. It's all I've ever wanted to do.

My first job was in a production shop make a few thousand of this before a few thousand of that, followed by a few thousand of the other. It was a mind-numbing experience for me, but some people like that type of thing. My next job was in a model shop, where I made one of this and two of those before one more of the other thing. A shop like that needs a long list of good customers to keep the work flow profitable. My third job was working for a service provider, making small runs (ten to one hundred) parts when I wasn't building prototypes of future parts for the engineering group. I left that job because the young engineer I was hired to coach became an Engineering Project Manager, and our conversations devolved into contests where he needed to win every conversation.

My current job is really cool. I run a small machine shop, staffed by me and one other person. We make satellite parts, parts to hold satellite parts, and all kinds of other stuff. We are surrounded by really smart people who don't have big egos to match their IQs.

As far as changes to my specific job, all I can say is if something needs to change I take care of it. One of the benefits of being the guy in charge.

Industry-wide, I would like to see a return to apprenticeships or other types of educational programs. Too many companies don't want to invest in their employees as far as skills are concerned, and that is very short-sighted. If nobody is willing to invest in making their employees smarter, then the supply of educated employees will eventually dwindle into extinction.

I enjoy it a lot. It's all I've ever wanted to do.

My first job was in a production shop make a few thousand of this before a few thousand of that, followed by a few thousand of the other. It was a mind-numbing experience for me, but some people like that type of thing. My next job was in a model shop, where I made one of this and two of those before one more of the other thing. A shop like that needs a long list of good customers to keep the work flow profitable. My third job was working for a service provider, making small runs (ten to one hundred) parts when I wasn't building prototypes of future parts for the engineering group. I left that job because the young engineer I was hired to coach became an Engineering Project Manager, and our conversations devolved into contests where he needed to win every conversation.

My current job is really cool. I run a small machine shop, staffed by me and one other person. We make satellite parts, parts to hold satellite parts, and all kinds of other stuff. We are surrounded by really smart people who don't have big egos to match their IQs.

As far as changes to my specific job, all I can say is if something needs to change I take care of it. One of the benefits of being the guy in charge.

Industry-wide, I would like to see a return to apprenticeships or other types of educational programs. Too many companies don't want to invest in their employees as far as skills are concerned, and that is very short-sighted. If nobody is willing to invest in making their employees smarter, then the supply of educated employees will eventually dwindle into extinction.

My friend, I LOVE that response. That's the type of environment and people I want to work with and learn from. Can I apply after I'm done with school? Being 100% serious. I'm not tied down to any particular place. I'll move anywhere in the country for the right job. I actually have a savings account dedicated to that type of travel come graduation.

I've lived in the Seattle area (Kent). I just moved back to my hometown (Vancouver WA), but that move would be easy.

If you'd be interested in chatting in two years, I'll shoot you a pm and file it away in my job search notes.

Should of invested in a hot dog cart..........

It's "OK" could be better or worse depending on the which idiot has a new "science project"....

On that note: I would like to see better prepared freshly educated engineers...

Apprenticeships would be nice, but I don't know if I could deal with some of the people......If the elevator doesn't go to the top floor. Why assume that it can change?

I should have stayed in school and become an engineer.

Brent

My friend, it's never too late. I've known people who have worked, raised kids, and still found time to take classes. You're going to be busy, maybe not a moment of free time for a few years. But totally worth it. My dad is a mechanical engineer, working for the same company for 28 years. Survived the great recession layoffs. He pulls in over 100,000/yr, and the fresh out of college guys start at 70k, going up considerably with experience. If you want it you can have it.

This was from a guy I know, and verified by another present.

When asked by HR ''what is it you like most about working here?'' he replied ''The road home.''

Should of invested in a hot dog cart..........

It's "OK" could be better or worse depending on the which idiot has a new "science project"....

On that note: I would like to see better prepared freshly educated engineers...

Apprenticeships would be nice, but I don't know if I could deal with some of the people......If the elevator doesn't go to the top floor. Why assume that it can change?

Very nice. A little irritated with the green engineers? I can see that. I imagine I would be too if they handed me crap.

My friend, I LOVE that response. That's the type of environment and people I want to work with and learn from. Can I apply after I'm done with school? Being 100% serious. I'm not tied down to any particular place. I'll move anywhere in the country for the right job. I actually have a savings account dedicated to that type of travel come graduation.
I've lived in the Seattle area (Kent). I just moved back to my hometown (Vancouver WA), but that move would be easy.
If you'd be interested in chatting in two years, I'll shoot you a pm and file it away in my job search notes.

Vancouver,WA ? Why relocate, you already live next door to one of the top companies with the best boss in the world. Contact Motion Guru through this site and explain to him why you would want to work for him at AMS. Maybe you can talk him into an interview?

This was from a guy I know, and verified by another present.

When asked by HR ''what is it you like most about working here?'' he replied ''The road home.''

I've worked jobs like that. Counting the minutes until I'm off. I really hope machining doesn't turn out that way.

For me it was warehouse work. Stacking boxes in a truck trailer all day is NOT the business. So long as my mind is occupied, I'm a happy camper. I like to think.

Vancouver,WA ? Why relocate, you already live next door to one of the top companies with the best boss in the world. Contact Motion Guru through this site and explain to him why you would want to work for him at AMS. Maybe you can talk him into an interview?

Excellent! Thank you! That is filed away. I'll contact him once I'm a bit further through the program.

Or maybe now? Just so he knows who I am ahead of time?

Excellent! Thank you! That is filed away. I'll contact him once I'm a bit further through the program.

I would suggest to start talking to people now. That might help give you an idea of where you want to go in life, and them some warning that you are on your way!

I would suggest to start talking to people now. That might help give you an idea of where you want to go in life, and them some warning that you are on your way!

Okay, thanks!
Btw, how do you like the trade? What are your thoughts?

I wonder if he saw your other thread where you said you quit school once already. He's not a big fan of quitters.

I wonder if he saw your other thread where you said you quit school once already. He's not a big fan of quitters.

Well that's good, because I'm not a quitter anymore, as I explained in the thread.

The thing about choices and traits is that they can be changed through perseverance.

If I'm a quitter, would I have tried again? Would I have gone to the lengths that I'm going to now to ensure that I am successful?

The happiest machinists I know tend to be running prototype or equipment maintenance shops for successful companies. In fields like medical devices, electric motorcycles, maintenance of amusement park rides, developing proprietary products. etc. Another class of happy machinists are self-starters who run their own shops and have found a niche that pays the bills without continual stress.

The happiest machinists I know tend to be running prototype or equipment maintenance shops for successful companies. In fields like medical devices, electric motorcycles, maintenance of amusement park rides, developing proprietary products. etc. Another class of happy machinists are self-starters who run their own shops and have found a niche that pays the bills without continual stress.

Noted. Thank you.

I love this forum.

I hear the specific niche shops still do some manual machining. Is there any truth to that? It would be cool to do a little bit of both manual and CNC.

Yardbird, and others who can, go back to school and earn a degree if you can possibly swing it. Most colleges have night school and some have correspondence courses. Getting a degree can be a struggle but is well worth the effort. Most of the engineers that I have known that had practical experience did exceptionally well in their field.

Jim

Back