What's new
What's new

Johansson drill press return spring, anyplace to buy? Make one?

Volitan

Hot Rolled
The return spring (clock spring?) broke on our old Johansson.
I found the website pacific-press.com claiming to have parts, but they say they don't have them and don't know where to get them.

Anyone have a source for this brand? Anyone ever make their own? Looks like .038" x 1" spring steel.

Thanks

I saw one nice conversion on a big drill press using a pull spring. Simple vertical mount to a bolted bracket up on top of the head. I have also seen such springs mounted horizontally front to back with a small pulley and wire cable to pull up on the quill stop. Or same idea with a pulley in back for a vertical counterweight.
never seen one but a gas spring might work as well.
Bil lD

Before posting the link to the spring stock I checked several sources for constant tension springs and found nothing that thick and 1" wide.

I do like the suggestion of using two 1/2" wide ones. No reason it shouldn't if both are of the same manufacture.

Go to Merritt’s Clock and Repair Supplies. They have an extensive stock of clock springs. You should be able to fine a suitable one with sufficient length to permit you to fabricate the terminations to work with your drill press. Get one with sufficient length to provide some practice material in making up the ends. You may have to anneal the ends before working with them.

I have fixed 2 or 3 ARBOGA MASKINER SWEEDISH drill press springs. They broke at the end. The end had a keyhole shape hole in it that hooked on a flat head screw. I smoothed of the jagg.ed end.I made a new opening with a hispeed pensil grinder and a 1/8 carbide burr. Just lay it out by hand with dykem and take your time.Once you pierce the hole thru,just work to the line. The reworked spring is only about 1 1/2 inches shorted that it started outAlso I think Mcmaster carr has the exact spring steel..Good Luck Edwin Dirnbeck

The return spring (clock spring?) broke on our old Johansson.
I found the website pacific-press.com claiming to have parts, but they say they don't have them and don't know where to get them.

Anyone have a source for this brand? Anyone ever make their own? Looks like .038" x 1" spring steel.

Thanks

I have a couple different return springs for a Johansson. N.O.S.
SEND ME AN EMAIL:typing:
Ted
[email protected]

Thanks for all the great suggestions in this thread!

Here's a couple pictures. I though it was too far from the end to rebend it and out it back in. Thoughts?
Ted, does this look like what you have?

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Attachments

• F586D451-F5D8-4E23-A9CC-3D81CC00B237.jpg
    F586D451-F5D8-4E23-A9CC-3D81CC00B237.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 107
  • D9100945-3DEF-4CC2-90C2-58487FCAB74C.jpg
    D9100945-3DEF-4CC2-90C2-58487FCAB74C.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 120
Have you tried using your DP without the clock spring? I broke mine in an old Rockwell about 10 years ago.
I was going to replace it, had the part # and item#. In the mean time I needed to use the DP. I found that I preferred to use it without the spring. I adjusted the quill friction nut so the quill stays at any height I want.

Yes, see pictures.
The first one is about 4 1/4” diameter .038” x 1”
The second one is ~3 1/4” diameter .035”x 1”

For the record: Volitan purchased the smaller of the two springs I have.
The large one is still available in case someone is searching for one in the future.
Thanks,
Ted

Have you tried using your DP without the clock spring? I broke mine in an old Rockwell about 10 years ago.
I was going to replace it, had the part # and item#. In the mean time I needed to use the DP. I found that I preferred to use it without the spring. I adjusted the quill friction nut so the quill stays at any height I want.

That's kind of how we're using it now :)
It can't stay that way though we use this drill press a lot, probably by 4 or 5 different people. It just has to be right.

That's kind of how we're using it now :)
It can't stay that way though we use this drill press a lot, probably by 4 or 5 different people. It just has to be right.

Make sure you put the new spring in the right way around. When I was young and foolish I managed to fit a replacement spring in the wrong way around. When I cut the retaining wires the spindle flew down like a rocket ! Very embarrassing.

Regards Tyrone.

Make sure you put the new spring in the right way around. When I was young and foolish I managed to fit a replacement spring in the wrong way around. When I cut the retaining wires the spindle flew down like a rocket ! Very embarrassing.

Regards Tyrone.

:D BTDT and isn't rewinding them a right bastard!

That spring looks fairly easy to make . The loop on the older part might not really need to be a loop just a tab sticking out with a screw and a nut through it to keep it from pulling in to the center . Here is a screenshot of Mcmaster Car‘s spring use steel strips . If my memory serves me correctly I believe I might have made one from scratch . It has been 15 or sixteen years . The springs stock is relatively cheap and you could experiment on short pieces on how to form the ends. Good luck
fa7698e88cdb0143c7d703a379c36c16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D BTDT and isn't rewinding them a right bastard!

I think I've told this story before but I can tell it again.

I'd just started at a new place and one of the first jobs I got was to repair the spring on the middle drill spindle of a " Pollard " 3 Spindle drill. I'd got the broken spring out easily enough and I went to the stores to get a new spring. Sure enough the store keeper had one in stock and gave it to me.

I slotted it into place and cut the retaining wires. As I said earlier the spindle shot down like a rocket ! I knew right away what I'd done wrong. I was trying to tease out the spring with a view to rewinding it when all of a sudden it came flying out of the housing like an angry cobra, right over my right shoulder, missing my right eye by about 3 inches.

I took one look at the spring and decided there was no way I was rewinding it. So it was the walk of shame back to the stores to beg the store keeper for another spring. He said " But I've just given you one ! ". So I said " Yeah you did and I just fucked it up !" Why is it store keepers always act like they have to pay for the spares out of their own pocket ?

Anyway I fitted the 2nd new spring no problem but it taught me a lesson I never forgot - if in any doubt make a quick sketch of the spring orientation before you remove the broken one.

Regards Tyrone.

Back