Joining broken steel shaft
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Joining broken steel shaft

Have an old Magline Trailevator trailer that came with a manual hydraulic pump. The "slider rod" inside broke. I can't locate any parts for the pump and can't even identify it.

Looking for suggestions to join the two halves...brazing or tig welding. I have a mini mill so I can mill out the ball end socket opening. I would think the most force is applied away from the center area opening, both ends use a leather gasket. The shaft looks dark because it was put in an ultrasonic cleaner with rust remover solution.

Obviously I'm not at your skill level but would like to attempt the repair...if it doesn't work I'll just try to locate another hand pump I can mount on the tank.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaftends.jpg   shaft.jpg   tag.jpg   pump.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is called a spool. You probably can't repair it economically. Better to find a part for sale or make a whole new spool. I wouldn't be screwing around with trying to braze or TIG items under direct hydraulic pressure. Hydraulic fluid under pressure is extremely bad juju if it gets loose through a small aperture and makes contact with skin (and gets through). Like get your ass to the E.R. immediately level bad juju.

Making a new one should be pretty straightforward.

3. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Broken part appears to be part of the manual pump linkage......a simple pivot for the back and forth action .......I d have a go at silver soldering the two bits back together......or make a new bit......IMHO ,the spherical surface doesnt need any particular accuracy,just to fit and move.......if that didnt work ,then id say you could make a workable replacement quite easily,again ,the spherical surface not needing any precision beyond fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does not look to be a hard job to make a new one, I’d be tempted myself, bit of ground shafting, couple of grooves and a divot for the end of the pump handle.
    You can lap the rod if your keen
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Said "Spherical surface" has a big sign on it that says "Break right here!" If you make a new one try to make the center hole depth smaller, the minimum depth it needs to be to function. I'd be surprised if it wasn't hardened, but you may be able to find an induction hardened chrome plated shaft to make a new one out of if so. Then the problem is cutting through the hardened skin, low RPM and carbide should work. You may have to settle for a medium carbon product like 1045 induction hardened and chrome plated, the center should still be softer and perhaps less fragile than the original.
    Be sure to ask how it happened, as sometimes people bang away at delicate mechanisms without knowing their own strength, then you could take it on without any warrantee and say as much on the invoice.

7. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

True,the shaft would be much better with just a slot,and the pump handle modified likewise.......as the until is to tip up a trailer,I dont thing hardened would be needed,as wear is going to be minimal..........incidentally ,ive seen those pump units in several applications,including cab tilt on a truck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a pump for tipping up cabover truck cabs.

Check a truck scrap yard.

Your looks like, not only the handle has been worn out.

10. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen old jeeps with that sort of pump to raise a snowplow. Perhaps sniff around old jeep places for parts, or a whole different unit?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes,its definitely a standard pump unit...trouble is with high scrap prices ,not much old stuff is hanging around.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would just turn a new one, much easier and stronger and faster to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats an old enerpak unit. We have one on a lift table for a granite saw. Might check a local enerpak repair place for availability or find a replacement pump.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As tempting as it would be to try and fix it’s not worth it. New pump and tank from Surplus Center is less than 300$. If I did it would be a slot a John k stated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just TIG'd it together today...appears strong and straight...trailer goes up and down like it was designed to. My buddy just dropped off a military single acting pump....only has a one quart tank...but I can modify it if required. Thanks all.