What's new
What's new

Jones and Shipman 540 Hydraulic issue - need some help please

jordford

Plastic
Hey everyone,

i have picked up a 1996 Jones and Shipman 540 surface grinder from an auction.

It powers up fine, and everything works except one thing...

The table feed only works in one direction, i have completely dismantled the valve, soaked it in degreaser for a day, blew every hole and gallery out with compressed air, i have removed the Y axis carriage from the ways and cleaned out every oil gallery.

there were 5 blockages in the valve, they formed where the valve split, and they looked like part of the gasket, cleaned and blew out all the spool centers - o rings were fine.

Put it all back together with confidence that it would work - due to removing 5 blockages.

Assembled it and it worked the exact same way it did before i cleaned it all out - cross feed works, table feed works one way only.

when i have the table feed valve in the position that i want it to go - i can push the cylinder freely both ways.

the ways lubricate fine with the adjustment screw down the center of the spool valve.

if i disconnect the ports from the cylinder and move the cylinder each way - oil flows out the each port depending on which way i push it.

if i cant get this working - i will re make a new block and use a CTOP valve to control the cylinder and put a stepper on the Y axis and just control the whole thing with an Arduino, i have exhausted all avenues and just CAN NOT FIGURE THIS OUT!!!

anyone got any ideas or have they gone through this before i go down the conversion route?

Did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing this issue have the same on my 1400

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not sure of the construction of this machine, so reply may not be relevant. I would look for an escape or pressure relief mechanism in the cylinder piston, valve blocks, valves, etc. The mechanism could be a spring loaded, ball, plunger, or orifice and located anywhere in the circuit. The ball or plunger could be missing or stuck.

Ive been studying the hydralic citcut trying to understand things, any help would be appreciated
25404ec5ad16bf7a90f0127b07e82c31.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The speed control is the exhaust port, you slow by throttling the vented side, I suspect your problem may be with the restriction?
Mark

Back