State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default JT2 1/2 SPINDLE Need a chuck

Good Evening,
    ****Disclaimer*****

I know nothing about drill presses or machining.

ok so I have an old AMT Drill Press model 4030. It needs a chuck. In my research I haven't been able to find one, it seems to be an odd ball size used many eons ago in a land far far away. That being said could someone help me come up with a solution to this dilemma? Throwing the press away is not an option, I am sure there is a way to either fit a chuck on or find one that is close enough to use.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you mean you want a 1/2" drill chuck with a Jacobs no. 2 taper? If so, they are easy to find, like on Amazon or eBay, in various makes and quality/price.

There is a Jacobs no. 2 short taper, but I am not aware of a 2 1/2 taper.

Taper dimensions: Victor Machinery - Metalworking tools and supplies

Pick a chuck and use your Prime membership to buy it from Amazon Prime. If you get one that does not fit, you can return it free and it will not cost you anything.

Larry

3. Likes Solomon liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank You Larry,
    I appreciate your time.
    I took this picture of the spindle in the press. My question is do I have to remove the spindle or can I measure the very bottom of the taper then measure the top just below the nut and match the measurements to the chart you provided?
    Thanks
    chris

****Update****
    I used the chart provided and I did some measurements.
    listed here I used the Jacobs Taper dimensions Victor Machinery - Metalworking tools and supplies

What I came up with is as follows:
    A .385
    B .329
    C .881
    The closest one I fall on is a JT#1 but the C dimension is way off. ( The C dimension was measured from the bottom of the nut to the bottom of the arbor.)

Thanks
    Last edited by Solomon; 08-07-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: update of information

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please note that photobucket is going out of business and has become unnecessary. You can post a picture directly from your hard drive to the Practical Machinist site to embed it in your message. Hover your cursor over the icons above the "quick reply" window and click on the one labeled "insert image" and follow the logical path of "from computer" and "select files."

Larry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your response,
    Maybe I can clarify some things with pictures and measurements. The first picture is self explanatory. With the link you provided me with I took some measurements. I also used this link--------->Victor Machinery - Metalworking tools and supplies to guide on where to measure.

arbor.jpg

According to the above link that shows the Jacobs Taper dimensions, I measured from the bottom of the nut to the bottom of the arbor. This is the C dimension.
    My following dimensions are:
    A .385
    B .329
    C .881
    According to the table that you linked me to the only Jacobs Taper that is close is the JT#1. The length is not even close.

The second picture is the plate on the front of the press which shows the size of the chuck... and the size of the taper.

plate.jpg

Thanks for your time I appreciate it.
    Chris
    Last edited by Solomon; 08-08-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: edit photos, delete links

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What did you buy and where did you get it. my old chigago model DP-515 has the same capacity chuck 1/2" and spindle JT# 2 1/2 . Im trying to find a keyless replacement and having a hard time

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember reading somewhere that the 2-1/2 Jacobs taper
    was something developed for Import drill presses.
    I don't remember the reason, something like a patent issue.
    I don't think anything of American origin bears that taper.

-Doozer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doozer got me to thinking...
    I found an arbor, but no chuck on this site, if it is there, I didn't find it. There are listings for chucks with a JT "2S" - but who knows what that means.

JT2-1/2-25.4 | S Shaft Chuck Arbor | TAKURAKOGU | MISUMI USA

Edit - found this old thread on another board, complete with a guest appearance from our own Jim Rozen!
    JT #2-1/2 means exactly that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know where a JT2.5 can be found. I'm stuck with JT6 but now see Jacobs has one in 1/2" I did buy it and so far it's much better that the Chinese brands but it too is made in China! I have an Accupro and one that came with SPI quick change, I hated both of them!!!! Problem I see is the pilot on the wrench is too small. If possible get the Jacobs brand but I'm told they all are made in China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Froneck View Post
    I don't know where a JT2.5 can be found. I'm stuck with JT6 but now see Jacobs has one in 1/2" I did buy it and so far it's much better that the Chinese brands but it too is made in China! I have an Accupro and one that came with SPI quick change, I hated both of them!!!! Problem I see is the pilot on the wrench is too small. If possible get the Jacobs brand but I'm told they all are made in China.
    Get US Made new old stock Jacobs chucks on Ebay.

Jacobs # 34 Drill Chuck/Key, JT6 Mount, 0-1/2" Capacity, NOS, rac3 | eBay

848 Jacobs # 34 Drill Chuck, JT6 Mount, 0-1/2" Capacity, NOS | eBay

Or if LFA (made in France) is good for you:

LFA 0-1/2 Heavy Duty JT#6 Jacobs Key Type Drill Chuck MADE IN FRANCE UPC 43601 | eBay