What's new
What's new

Is it just me, or does Boeshield have the worst spray head of any anti rust spray ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like every can of Boeshield I get, it sprays ok at first..but even in the beginning it sprays a fairly narrow pure liquid shot, when one would think it would spray a more diverse mist like pattern of spray. But then about mid can, it gets sloppy as hell and is dripping from the spray head with each shot. Others have the same problem ?

Of course there are alternatives such as CRC....but for certain applications Boeshield seems to prevent rust a little better except for it's ridiculous spray pattern and leakage. Just hard to believe in 2015 they haven't figured out how to make an aerosol can spray head and wondering if only I get defective ones ??

LPS3 is worse. Never got to use a full can unless I sprayed it all at once.I think it's the wax that plugs them.I relieved the pressure and poured the contents of many partial cans into a container for paint brush use.Alternatives waxoyl homebrew or rigging slush homebrew.

LPS3 is worse. Never got to use a full can unless I sprayed it all at once.I think it's the wax that plugs them.I relieved the pressure and poured the contents of many partial cans into a container for paint brush use.Alternatives waxoyl homebrew or rigging slush homebrew.
In a way LPS3 is worse but at least it makes sense that it would be since it is much thicker and stickier than Boeshield. I would think Boeshield would spray more like aerosol paint...but it doesn't for some reason.

I've never used Boeshield, but LPS3 does a lousy job of spraying. If Starrett could have a better rust preventative, they sure do have the best mist spray of any rattle can. It does prevent rust, but short term.

Use Boeshield by the gallon. Decant it into plastic bottles with adjustable spray head. Works fine with no leaks and controllable spray. LPS Rust Preventive - use it by the gallon and decant into same spray bottles; just keep the bottle full to avoid clogging of spray nozzle; works.

The Boeshield spray head is designed to be used with a tiny (and supplied) plastic "straw" about 4" long. Trying to use it without the "straw" in place is usually an exercise in frustration.

The wax in the stuff does tend to gum up over time.

Never used boeshield, but I do like LPS3 a lot. My method has always been to spray overly heavy, and then spread it around with a soaked cloth. Works for me.

Never used boeshield, but I do like LPS3 a lot. My method has always been to spray overly heavy, and then spread it around with a soaked cloth. Works for me.
The charms and techniques of LPS3 are irrelevant to my point. LPS3 is a more heavy cosmoline like chemical which does prevent rust better than Boeshield but smells awful and is way more difficult to remove. Boeshield is more desirable for spray on items that might rust from light dew point situations as it smells ok and is easy to remove. LPS3 is for more long term anti rust or outside use where something could get rained on.

If its a std areosol can, have a look at ebay or some of the graffiti spray shops, there’s a wide range of aerosol nozzles available and there pretty darn cheap too. For some reason few people seam to consider or realise this is easily done, they just pull off and simply push back on.

I often end up swapping nozzles from one can to another to get the spray pattern i desire. Weather thats for a oil, paint or cleaning solvent, can make a job go a lot faster and easier too!

+1 for adama!

I got fed up with nozzles on my Rustoleum rattle cans clogging, they can't be turned upside down to clear them. I called the company to complain and they sent me a whole bunch of spare nozzles. You can also soak them in solvent to clear, but what a PIA for a cheap little piece of plastic.

The charms and techniques of LPS3 are irrelevant to my point. LPS3 is a more heavy cosmoline like chemical which does prevent rust better than Boeshield but smells awful and is way more difficult to remove. Boeshield is more desirable for spray on items that might rust from light dew point situations as it smells ok and is easy to remove. LPS3 is for more long term anti rust or outside use where something could get rained on.

Have you looked into LPS 2? Or even LPS 1?
We use 2, and haven't really noticed any problems with the sprayer in over a year.

I thought maybe I got a couple junk cans. I have been using Boeshield off and on for a couple years on hand tools and cast iron woodworking. I hardly reach for it now ever since the second can started to clog...

Andy

Seems like every can of Boeshield I get, it sprays ok at first..but even in the beginning it sprays a fairly narrow pure liquid shot, when one would think it would spray a more diverse mist like pattern of spray. But then about mid can, it gets sloppy as hell and is dripping from the spray head with each shot. Others have the same problem ?

Of course there are alternatives such as CRC....but for certain applications Boeshield seems to prevent rust a little better except for it's ridiculous spray pattern and leakage. Just hard to believe in 2015 they haven't figured out how to make an aerosol can spray head and wondering if only I get defective ones ??

Have gone through over a dozen of Boeshield's Rust remover/inhibitor product. The Rust remover does drip after awhile.

For the Rust inhibitor I use with or without the red straw . Without the straw it sprays a semi-mist form , right until the end. Dripping must have been minor or else I would remember it.

I get my Boeshield from Sears or Rockler.

Chances are, all of the nozzles are probably made by the same company. There are numerous options as to pattern, orfice size, etc. Might just be a poor choice of nozzle type.

Just because it's New Year's Eve, and nobody else has taken the opportunity...

It's just you!

Happy New Year PM!

I never buy aerosol cans if I can help it, it's like paying extra for and inconvenience. I agree, buy it by the gallon and use a spray bottle; WD-40 makes a nice one. Also, +1 to replacing the spray nozzle with one from other cans, been doing that for years.

Yes. Exact same problem here. It sprays good for a while, then the terrible sputtering mess you describe, then nothing at all.

So what to do? The dude in this video sprayed compressed air into a "dead" can of wd-40. :eek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0asTeFlTck

I figured the video was BS, but tried it anyway. I could hardly believe it but my previously dripping and then "dead" can of Boeshield sprayed like a new can. I sh1t you not. Like new. I sprayed maybe 5 seconds into the can.

Does it just clear out the tube into the can or actually pressurize it? I don't know, but I didn't have to throw away a 3/4 full can this time! :smitten:

Back