What's new
What's new

K.O. Lee 714 surface grinder weight and moving information

cjl604

Plastic
Hello All, Does anyone know the actual weight of a K.O. Lee 714 manual surface grinder? I am going to pick one up but have been told 700- 1500 lbs. Need to know more accurately so I have the correct equipment to move. Also, how easy to remove a few parts to break up weight? Thank you, CJ

I bet it's closer to 1500-1600 lbs., maybe a little bit more.

Be sure to secure the table, better yet, take it off!!! or it might wind up on the hiway somewhere.

Ken

down travel the grinding wheel to set on a piece of wood at the chuck center so the up/down nut is free.
Lock the table with the cross far in, If not having table locks figure how to make it so, with not only depending on the long travel hand wheel gear. I likely would net remove the magnetic chuck. Did you hear it run?/if so you could remove the chuck with knowing you will have to regrind it. If never grinding a chuck better study that well before attempting it. Wrap it with plastic wrap to keep road dust out of it.. be sure straps don't go over any sharp edges. use an over size trailer, Figure it will try to tip forward and to the sides so extra strapping that way. a bumper stop at the front bottom is good. Best to not move it in the rain.

I would pull the table of a ball or roller long travel but not a scraped way machine.

When you get it home wipe clean the part of the long travel ways the you can see before moving long travel.

if it has set not running for a time be sure to hand spin the wheel a number of times.. the first fire-up should be a jog start to only a slow speed and let coast down a few times..with use it is good to jig start at every cold start..sure beat rebuilding a spindle. Be sure all the places having oil have the the right kind of oil.
They are tippey so much care to not tip it over..Oh consider going up and down mountains will put high stress on everything/ double the weight on straps going down ways and up ways ..and side ways around curves..Plus extra stress on beaks and longer stopping

Here find a salesman with a K.O. lee who knows nothing about grinding..Don't be that guy..
Buck
YouTube

1200 pounds is closer to the real number. If you remove the table, don't lose the spring loaded oiler wheels and axels. If you remove the grinder from its base, the move becomes much easier.

Wow. Thanks guys. I have a forklift lined up to put in the 1 ton truck I have rented. Hope that can get her back to Denver from Kansas. Do not think I will have time to disassemble until I get home so will wrap with plastic everywhere and tie down the best I can in the bed of the truck and put the spindle down on wood. I can remove the table but not sure if thats a good idea as no real way to secure in the back of the bed. Maybe could strap to base which would bring the CG down a bit. Does anyone know if I can just put bars through the side holes and lift with the forks that way? I was on face time and hear it run. So quiet can hardly hear. It's a 86 but really think it wasn't used much. I gunsmith as a hobby and side business and just getting too old and tired to hand file and sand pitting out of the sides of receivers and frames. Hope this unit helps in that area.

bridgeport

This is the Bridgeport I recently rebuilt and put in my basement. Hoping the surface grinder will be a bit easier as I had no help to disassemble or reassemble except paying a few guys to help me move the big parts down the stairs. Any advice on disassembling the K.O would also be very helpful as I'm on my own.. IMG_1714.jpg

Forgot to mention that this model has the Z adjustment wheel in the base and not on the top of the machines so figured this will complicate the removal of the base from top. Can't find much online to reference how this connection affects the base removal. Guess this also helps the CG stay a bit lower though.

I have a KO Lee T & C grinder. When I unloaded it from the pallet it was on, we ran bars thru the holes and lifted it off the pallet. On my B & S surface grinder I have, we essentially did the same thing, put the bars thru the holes and straddled it with the over head crane, picked it up and loaded it on my trailer. I secured chains around the bars to pull it down against the bed of the trailer. And ran a strap over the top to secure the grinder from tipping. I don't remember how we secured the table from moving. We may have just locked it down. As everyone else has said, they are top heavy an be careful! And don't drive like a bat out of hell! Go easy, even in a one ton, it can get top heavy real quick, if you have to swerve or turn quickly. Ken

Wow. Thanks guys. I have a forklift lined up to put in the 1 ton truck I have rented. Hope that can get her back to Denver from Kansas. Do not think I will have time to disassemble until I get home so will wrap with plastic everywhere and tie down the best I can in the bed of the truck and put the spindle down on wood. I can remove the table but not sure if thats a good idea as no real way to secure in the back of the bed. Maybe could strap to base which would bring the CG down a bit. Does anyone know if I can just put bars through the side holes and lift with the forks that way? I was on face time and hear it run. So quiet can hardly hear. It's a 86 but really think it wasn't used much. I gunsmith as a hobby and side business and just getting too old and tired to hand file and sand pitting out of the sides of receivers and frames. Hope this unit helps in that area.

Taking the table of is not necessary.The plastic wrap is also to catch any parts that might fall off so wrap tight and watch for parts unwrapping. Don't know about the holes will take a look at photos of the machine and get back.

looks like the holes would be good, bolted to a pallet would be best.."steel on steel is like skates on ice" and a bumper board or two for forward slide. Good to have a pinch bar so if you need to move it mid trip.
best to lift straight up and move the truck/trailer..not travel the lifted machine. likely you can't set it on a tailgate so think about that. Some guys hire a boom type wrecker truck. 50 bucks if you find the right guy...or a tractor.

Wow. Thanks guys. I have a forklift lined up to put in the 1 ton truck I have rented. Hope that can get her back to Denver from Kansas.

Half ton pickup would be more than sufficient. Should only be four or more bolts holding the grinder to the base. Strap or plastic wrap the table securely to the machine. Done!

Thanks all for the very useful information. I'll use all the information and hope its not a snow storm driving back next week.

Back