What's new
What's new

K O Lee B300 Motor/Spindle Bearings

rwilliams

Aluminum
Hello

I need help. I am looking for some experience/expertise with a K O Lee Tool and Cutter Grinders. I recently acquired a B300 grinder in good condition. It probably needs new bearings in the B923 motor, in this model the wheels mount directly on the motor shaft. It makes a bit of noise as it comes up to speed and then gets gets quiet and smooth.

However, I cannot open up the motor case to get to the bearings until I remove the inner wheel flanges which are pressed or possibly screwed on to the shaft as each has a pair of holes for a pin spanner.

If anyone has done this and can provide advise or has insight information on removing the wheel flanges it is most welcome.

Pictures will follow.

Keep your powder dry and bubbles level.

Bob

Pictures

Here are pictures, the .6693 (17mm) is also the bearing bore diameter according to the parts list.

Shaft Dimensions.jpgPin Spanner Holes.jpgShaft and Inner Flange.jpg

I figure it is a tight sliding fit but, I don't know why it would have pin spanner holes.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
If you decide to pull on the flange, be real careful, that flange maybe cast iron. I broke a flange off of one of the spindle assemblies a while back to replace the bearings. Had to make a new one. I really don't think it is threaded on. Those holes could be from a balancing operation they do to all of their stuff back then. Ken

Thanks for the cast iron alert!

If I use a puller I will make some form of backing plate to slip over the shaft behind the flange and try to gently warm the flange a bit.

I do not expect threads either but figured it would be good to seek other opinions; threads would seem to introduce an added complication to ensuring the flange is perpendicular to the shaft. The holes just seemed so well aligned and of consistent depth I initially did not think of possible balance holes.

One thing I just thought about, those spanner holes may match up with your Sopkoe spanner wrench. To use as back up for tightening up things from the other end of the spindle. I'd have to go look at mine, the motor that is, and see if this is correct. The motor is pretty much the same one used on all sizes of the KO Lee T & C grinders, except for some of the very earlier ones made. Ken

Back