What's new
What's new

K O LEE Surface grinder year code?

Yankee Metallic

Hot Rolled
I am looking at purchasing a K O LEE Surface grinder Model S618 with a year code of "KK" at the end of the serial number. Anybody know what year the machine was made?
Also in good condition, with only a mag chuck, what is the fair market value?

I am looking at purchasing a K O LEE Surface grinder Model S618 with a year code of "KK" at the end of the serial number. Anybody know what year the machine was made?

If you get it I have a manual posted in the forum manuals section. I paid $450 for one off Ebay a couple of years ago. My serial number contains the mfg date in the numbers. -Mike

If you get it I have a manual posted in the forum manuals section. I paid $450 for one off Ebay a couple of years ago. My serial number contains the mfg date in the numbers. -Mike

Should be November 1977. First letter (K in this example) is the month second letter (K in this example) is the year (assuming later than 1968).

Last letter A starts 1968
Last letter Z is 1990
they didn't use i, v, or w if someone wants to fill in the rest.
Not sure what happened after that

Before 1968, the last 3 digits after the hyphen indicated the month and year (first digit month, second and third digit year)

Source: 11th. edition Serial Number Reference Book MDNA

Regards,
Dave

Should be November 1977. First letter (K in this example) is the month second letter (K in this example) is the year (assuming later than 1968).

Last letter Z is 1990

Before 1968, the last 3 digits after the hyphen indicated the month and year (first digit month, second and third digit year)

Regards,
Dave

Last letter Z is 1990

Regards,
Dave

Thank you Meridian. You are the winner! I called K O LEE and got the same info this morning.
I bought the machine and will post pic's tomorrow. It is MINT and was only used to make parts for miniature model railroads.

Thank you Meridian. You are the winner! I called K O LEE and got the same info this morning.
I bought the machine and will post pic's tomorrow. It is MINT and was only used to make parts for miniature model railroads.

Hello all. My buddy just purchased a surface grinder for our Gunsmithing shop. He bought it off an auction site. I’m looking for the model number, where to get any Manuel’s and lubrication info. The model number says S709J1C3PA1 and the serial number is 8800-11F2. I can’t seem to find that model number anywhere. Then I saw that the Model numbers are abbreviated so if someone can help me out. Also I need to know what weight Hydralic fluid it uses because it’s in severe need for some. Thanks and I look forward to the help.

Michael

Well, Mike, some of the guys from that 12 year old thread might be alive still. What you need to do is to first find the maker. If you don't know the maker (usually it's cast into the machine somewhere) take a clean well-lit digital photo and stick it somewhere we can all see it and post a link to it here.

It is possible that the manufacturer of your machine encoded manufacturing date into the serial number. Maybe 1988?

metalmagpie

Well, Mike, some of the guys from that 12 year old thread might be alive still. What you need to do is to first find the maker. If you don't know the maker (usually it's cast into the machine somewhere) take a clean well-lit digital photo and stick it somewhere we can all see it and post a link to it here.

It is possible that the manufacturer of your machine encoded manufacturing date into the serial number. Maybe 1988?

I’m sorry I didn’t include the Manufacturer. I completely didn’t realize that I didn’t. It is a KO LEE. If that helps. I did find their website not realizing they were still in business. Anyway I have reached out to them and have asked all the questions that I have asked above. I haven’t heard from them yet due to the weekend, but I will repost once I do in case it helps others. If anyone does have the info, please forward it to me. That way I can at least get the Hydraulic fluids for it and start playing. I know there are different weights available.

Thanks, metalmagpie for your response. I do appreciate it. And I am one of those that were well alive when it was made.

Michael
Suttmike1

]

Back