Kaeser Compressor, is this the normal life? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhearons View Post
    Be careful with the smaller compressors. We had a SM10 that lost the air end. The air end, according to the dealer, can’t be rebuilt. They wanted about 7k to replace the air end and some bearings, it’s only about 10k for a new compressor. We bought a new AS20 instead...
    We have an SM10 that was installed new in 2009.

It cracked a weld on the oil cooler about two years ago which caused it to be down for a day.

Other than that it has never a missed beat. It has 43k pressure hours on it.

It is serviced regularly, full service takes about two hours, so we just schedule it on a Friday afternoon after most of the guys have gone home.

I can't say enough good things about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've also been looking into Mattei rotary vane compressors. Apparently very common in non US countries, but sounds like they are super reliable and 100K hours on the air end is common. I went and looked at a 5hp one the other day and it's very quiet.

Rotary Vane Compressors and the Vane Compressor - Compressors for stationary industrial and OEM applications - Mattei

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

had air compressors my entire adult life and never once thought about putting an hour meter on one. i guess i'll just leave it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
    had air compressors my entire adult life and never once thought about putting an hour meter on one. i guess i'll just leave it that way.
    FWIW, $20,000 buys a small industrial compressor. The good ones, using synthetic $50/gal fluid need servicing every 8,000 hours. All the necessary filters and fluids are $350 - $500. Spend that time and money and most will run forever.

The Kaeser AS30 is mostly built like a Tiger tank. The compressor we are repairing has thus far only revealed one weak point; the airhead is mounted on a H-shaped fabricated frame with a 15mm pivot pin on the back end and a spring-loaded belt tension adjuster on the front left leg. Thirty years of vibration wore the pivot pin through half its diameter. This slop then allowed the belts to run misaligned, so they chewed themselves or threw them off the pulley. That's a straightforward mechanical repair.

It's getting a full lube, oil and filter change while we're in there.

jack vines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My new 10 HP Kaeser air tower gets started up next week.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    My new 10 HP Kaeser air tower gets started up next week.
    Pictures please !!!
    I am thinking about a 10hp air tower. 240 3 phase? whats the rated sfm for 120psi? rough cost?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Pictures please !!!
    I am thinking about a 10hp air tower. 240 3 phase? whats the rated sfm for 120psi? rough cost?
    I am in the process of buying an Airtower 5C. I have to say that my sales rep is annoying and slow to deal with ... but there seems to be a whole lot of discount available. I think I'm around 30% or 40% off of list price.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Pictures please !!!
    I just received a quote on a 7.5hp air center and the same machine as a stand alone. $10,300 for the air center and $7,300 for the compressor only.

Took over 2 weeks just to get the quote. Delivery is quoted 3 weeks from California to Oregon...

I'd expect the 10hp to be an additional $1500 or thereabouts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone had experience buying or selling used Kaeser compressors? I see a wide variety of asking prices with very little detail of maintenance history.

I've learned from recent experience routine maintenance on an AS30 at 8,000 hours costs $500 in parts and materials. From what we've just done to recondition this one, I'd ask for proof of service. It's a hoss of a compressor, just know the history.

jack vines

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do like my Kaeser overall. The plastic fan blew up on us twice when it was under warranty. What's irritating is that the dealer here in California doesn't stock any/many parts. So this plastic fan that was a KNOWN problem had to be flown in from Germany. Same with any PM kits, belts, oil filters etc....all has to come from Germany. We've done some service ourselves and let the dealer do them recently and it's never been less than $1k for a PM. The air dryer constantly blows a fuse. You can buy them for $5 from grainger but the dealer charges $60 + travel time + minimum labor. So a $500 service call when all the tech needed to do was tell me over the phone to check the fuse. All that said....it's way better then Atlas Crapco

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metal-ica View Post
    ...All that said....it's way better then Atlas Crapco
    I have bitched a lot about my Atlas Copco. In fairness, my problems seem to be more about the techs that worked on it than the machine itself.

I found 2 problems that were the cause of the leaks- one was an O-ring that they said they replaced, but they didn't. The other was when they used a 6mm unloader line with a 1/4" push-on fitting. Both spots leaked badly. After replacing them, the floor is no longer an oil slick and the machine is keeping the oil inside where it belongs.

edit to add: One thing that kind of surprised me in the quote I got from Kaeser- there were 2 items that were added to the quote. One was a cabinet filter for $425. The other was just a part number- I don't know what it was but it was $325. Those are pretty pricey if they are annual maintenance items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do like my Kaeser overall. The plastic fan blew up on us twice when it was under warranty. What's irritating is that the dealer here in California doesn't stock any/many parts. So this plastic fan that was a KNOWN problem had to be flown in from Germany. Same with any PM kits, belts, oil filters etc....all has to come from Germany. We've done some service ourselves and let the dealer do them recently and it's never been less than $1k for a PM. The air dryer constantly blows a fuse. You can buy them for $5 from grainger but the dealer charges $60 + travel time + minimum labor. So a $500 service call when all the tech needed to do was tell me over the phone to check the fuse. All that said....it's way better then Atlas Crapco
    Sounds like you have some wiring issues if your fuse keeps blowing, I have been around 2 Kaeser compressors with air dryers for about 25 years and never blew a fuse. Unfortunately dealers vary and it appears you have a bad one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For true. What is Absolutely Unbelievable is we can't get a manual from the dealer and can't find one on line and can't get one from Kaeser. Their attitude seems to be, "You are not worthy. Step away from the machine!"

jack vines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Positive update! I kept pressure on our local Kaeser dealer, bought several hundred dollars of parts and finally, they came through with an online manual which had obviously been scanned into a digital format. We were able to print out the forty page manual and get all the info we needed to start up our newly serviced unit.

jack vines