What's new
What's new

Kalamazoo band saw

F2036

Plastic
Thanks for letting me join your group.

I have the chance to buy a Kalamazoo band saw that I believe is a model 816s.
Everything goes round and round like it should except the blade keeps slipping down on the drive wheel and idler wheel. It seems to catch on something and slides down on the wheels.
I will be able to buy this saw for 500 dollars, is this a good price??
What can I do to fix the blade from slipping down on the wheels?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I bought a jet bandsaw for 500$.
Has a coolant pump and all. Really nice machine and cuts really straight.

I don’t know anything about your saw but you can’t really ask us to just predict what’s wrong with it!

We need pics and a little more on your end to narrow things down. Every band saw I know of has adjustments.

Your gonna need to closely inspect everything and try to find what’s amiss.

If you find for example a wheel with a bad bearing with a lot of slop then bingo.

If you see a crack that your not sure about show us pics and we’ll weight in.

I guess you should start by checking on replacement parts for that saw to see what the availability and pricing is, if parts are available then use your judgement and buy or dont.

Welcome to the club. We don’t bite but we do moan

My opinion of the old Kalamazoo saws is that they are junk. I've never seen one that would saw straight. I'm probably gonna take some flak, but I wouldn't give $50.00 for it if I had to haul it away. Just about anything is better, even imports.

JH

My opinion of the old Kalamazoo saws is that they are junk. I've never seen one that would saw straight. I'm probably gonna take some flak, but I wouldn't give $50.00 for it if I had to haul it away. Just about anything is better, even imports.

JH

WTF?

I have the Kalamazoo auto saw that came over on the fucking Mayflower and it cuts dead nuts just like you'd expect a 7.5HP 5000 pound saw to perform.

I've been around several Kalamazoos and never seen one that didn't look atleast Do-all quality or better.

Was this like a cheap charlie hobby level saw or a real go-getter industrial deal? Most Kalamazoo saws I see are big boy saws. 816 is a small saw.

JH

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. I have a Kalamazoo 816, it has cut thousands of pounds of 3" dia. 304 ss and everything else for the last 20 years. It cuts dead straight and always has. I have no doubt some hilljack could screw one up though. There is an adjustment for the non powered wheel that adjusts the tracking of the blade, this should fix the problem with this saw.

I think the OP just wants a participation badge...…:D

You really need to go back and read over your onw posting, and ask yourself
"How could anyone diagnose this problem with this information I posted"

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. I have a Kalamazoo 816, it has cut thousands of pounds of 3" dia. 304 ss and everything else for the last 20 years. It cuts dead straight and always has. I have no doubt some hilljack could screw one up though. There is an adjustment for the non powered wheel that adjusts the tracking of the blade, this should fix the problem with this saw.

'm not saying that Kalamazoo didn't build industrial strength saws, but just giving my experience as a 50 year journeyman the experience I encountered with three different saws in three different places. Two of the old saws replaced with marvel saws and the old saws were junked. Never missed. This ain't my first rodeo.
JH

'm not saying that Kalamazoo didn't build industrial strength saws, but just giving my experience as a 50 year journeyman the experience I encountered with three different saws in three different places. Two of the old saws replaced with marvel saws and the old saws were junked. Never missed. This ain't my first rodeo.
JH

In my time...less than yours, I have come across many Kalamazoo saws, doing very fine work.
Just because you worked in crap-ola shops with cheap owners that bought the undersized saws, and never spent a dime on maintenance, doesn't make the brand bad.

Agree with Moonlight. Previously owned an 816 until upgrading to an 8C and a 9AW. All three cut dead nuts when adjusted properly. More than likely a good tune up will correct the tracking problem unless something is broken.

I have an 8CW. It's a big, solid, straight cutting saw. I'd guess one in decent operating condition should run $800-$1200.

A excellent brand. It is true though that they are run into the ground in general. A lot of shops will be like that just careless with equipment. With only reasonable care these will last and last and perform top notch. I have seen where people will actually spend money and time rebuilding them too.

I have an 816 that I have been using/working on over the years. They are run into the ground but its amazing how well they still cut when adjusted right.
So far I have replaced the oil seals in the gearbox and replaced the oil ( make sure to use non EP oil or youll damage the brass gear), FIxed a few stripped holes for the vice jaws, replaced the bearing in the idler wheel, repaired the quick release nut for the vise, and rebuilt the hydraulic cylinder. Eventually Ill strip it all the way down and do a proper paint and rebuild on it but it just keeps cutting straight.
FYI If you need a downfeed cylinder let me know I have an extra that I rebuilt.

In my working days we had a couple of Kalamazoo Startrite 30" throat vertical bandsaws that got a lot of use and held up incredibly. I was so impressed with them that I bought the same saw for my shop. Only problem is that the tires are pretty worn out but I used masking tape on them and they work fine again. I understand that this isn't a great way to fix anything but read it somewhere and it works. Haven't been able to find new tires for it.

In my working days we had a couple of Kalamazoo Startrite 30" throat vertical bandsaws that got a lot of use and held up incredibly. I was so impressed with them that I bought the same saw for my shop. Only problem is that the tires are pretty worn out but I used masking tape on them and they work fine again. I understand that this isn't a great way to fix anything but read it somewhere and it works. Haven't been able to find new tires for it.

Should have used duck tape...…:D

Masking tape? Do you mean the black electrical tape.
Bil lD

Regular masking tape. That's what someone suggested and had used so I tried it and it works fine. Probably not as good as something like duct tape but it should be easy enough to take off and replace. It's been on my saw for probably 10 years and still works fine.

There are all kinds of companies that make custom bandsaw tires

The tires on this one appear to be poured resin and the wheel has an angle on it so regular tires won't stay on. I bought a set of urethane wheels and they won't stay on the rims.

It's also only one wheel out of the three of them that is badly worn but whether it's one or all three it was still a problem.

I have an older model 7AD that once you square it up correctly and mind your speed and feeds it cuts super straight. That is until my hydraulic decent ram failed yesterday. Anyone know where to find a X-140 Leather Cup replacement Kit? or any other ideas? - Thanks

Back