What's new
What's new

Kasto or Daito Automatic band saw

motofab555

Plastic
Hello everyone. We need to purchase a new automatic band saw and have been looking at a Kasto win3.3 or a Daito GAIVII. The kasto seems more modern than the Daito but the Daito is a proven design. Both are similarly priced.

95% of the cutting it will be doing will be 6" diameter 6061. The saw will need to run 10 hours a day 6 days a week solely cutting aluminum. The saws we have had in the past did not do a very good job of handling the amount of chips it was producing.

Pros of the Kasto are:
Higher blade speed 495 vs 330
dual column
Touch screen control (can store lengths and speeds and feeds)
ball screw down feed
16' 8" blade

Pros of Daito:
Proven design that has been around forever
Keep being told their saws are tanks and will cut for years
Short 11' blade

Info on Kastowin:
KASTOwin - KASTOwin - Microsite - United States - en

Daito info:
GAIV260W | GAIV series | DAITO U.S.A., INC.

I would really like to hear opinions on both machines/companies

Thanks for the help
Greg

Have you looked at the Amada line of saws? I do service for them and I have to say I,m realy impressed with how they hold up. The build quality is awesome. Amada saw's are really built to do 24/7 duty on the toughest alloys. I service a lot of steel and alloy service centers and see a lot of there saws that cut around the clock. Yea, they may not be as cheap as some other saws but you get what you pay for. I also service other brands of saws and the more I service the other brands the more I like the Amada's. You might want to check out the HFA250W model, it will cut 10" square and is fully programmable (punch in your cut list, length of cut and the quanity for each length) plus it can automatically find the end of the bar so your first cut is right to length. I've seen 25" dia bars of heat treated (600 series stainless steel hardened) cut to length with carbide band blades. HFA250W and HFA400W running 2 or 3 shifts cutting large bars of titanium or tool steel. Most of these saws see little maintanence, keeping them loaded and cutting is what they were purchased for. I get called in when there is a problem or somebody was careless and bashed a machine with the crane. There is a reason that the large metal service centers have a whole floor of these saw's, they produce and have minimal downtime. Dang, I sound like a freakin salesman. But I do enjoy servicing a line of machines that I don't have to make excuses for. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

Bill

Kasto make great saws. They've been likened to " Mercedes- Benz. " in terms quality. Typical German build values. Amada and Daito have been around a long while and have good reputation's also. I'd be happy with any one of those three. What are the respective prices like ? Regards Tyrone.

Bill is right
For aluminium in that volume you use a high speed coldsaw Much faster much nicer . 6'' is within their capacity
Pricewise I don't expect them to be more expensive
Emmegi and Eisele make nice onces

If it were steel i would go over the doubble column style any day
That is a proven style Much more stable and a constant feedspeed all over the lenght of the material

Peter from lolland

We've got a Kasto CNC twin column. Been running for 8 years (may be 10 by now). Best I can remember it has been down 1 time in all those years for a maintenance problem. Still cuts within 0.1 mm and dead square. Has probably averaged 30-40 hrs a week cutting during that time (24/6 operation)

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I did check out the Amada HFA250W. I am sure it is a very good saw but the Kasto has some very good features and should be of the same build quality if not better.

The prices for a 6" capacity cold saw was over $100K

The price for a Daito or the Kastowin 3.3 is low $40's

On Tuesday I am taking a 6ft piece of 6" diameter to the Kasto Factory in PA and we are going to cut it up. I cannot ask for anything more than that. I will post some pictures.

On Tuesday I am taking a 6ft piece of 6" diameter to the Kasto Factory in PA and we are going to cut it up. I cannot ask for anything more than that. I will post some pictures.
FWIW, that is not a "factory" but their USA distribution center. I've been there a few times.

Milacron

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I did check out the Amada HFA250W. I am sure it is a very good saw but the Kasto has some very good features and should be of the same build quality if not better.

I think you will like the results.

^what he said........the Kasto service guys are out of western PA, not very far from Buffalo. I've never had a problem getting parts within a reasonable amount of time. Never saw or ran a Daito in person.

Kasto's old head parts guy (Bob) retired last year, but i've haven't had a problem with the new guys at all, although it might take them an extra five minutes, when the old head guy could pull parts numbers from memory.

I prefer to freshen up on my German whenever possible regarding bandsaws.

Thats wierrd
I have a Eisele VA-L with a cap of 130mm solid round aluminium and a Behringer HBP360CNC right now
And the Eisele is less than half the machine of the Behringer
The materialfeed system can be the same design between the 2
And a coldsaw with a swiveling design is much easier to construct as a 2 column design bandsaw with 2 big wheels and its bearing assembly and the frame that spans those 2 wheels Also you have 2 bladeguide systems which need to be move able

So that makes me wonder
What machine did cost over $100K

peter from holland

So that makes me wonder
What machine did cost over $100K
Maybe he's leaving out something included in that price ..like a multibar magazine feed system...which are unusually expensive from Kasto.

Milacron

peterve,
Please correct me if I am wrong but when I was looking at high speed cold saws the inexpensive ones only had 7.5-10 hp motors. I was told I will need atleast a 20hp to rip through large solids. The lower HP ones I were told were for extrusions and tube.

Most of the non-ferrous ones also appeared to have wimpy pneumatic clamping. I also would not want to buy a saw that has a 6" capacity and cut 6" on it all day long.

Any cold saws that I thought would be up to the task, I was told were well over $100K. I never got a real price on any of them. Even at $100k that would be over twice what a nice band saw can cost.

Does anyone know ballpark pricing on a Tsune TK5M-150G?

Are you saying I should be looking into a VA-L? It does not look like a very big machine. Cost?
Item # VA-L 560 NC 1 HYDRAULIC, Hydraulic Aluminum Cutting Automatic Circular Cold Saw On Behringer Saws, Inc.

Amada had a very impressive cold saw at IMTS this year that was cutting 9" solid round steel in just over 30 seconds. The guy at the booth told me it was $425K!!!!

If anyone knows of a high speed coldsaw I should be looking at please let me know.

Thanks
Greg

I really dont know what that eisele behringer costs You could ask And it would do what you want and more
The VA-Lcome with pneumatic and hydraulic clamping
FWIW Eisele Behringer is considered even a better brand by many as Kasto here in Europe
You need a high speed cold saw so do not compare it with a steel cutting low speed cold saw

The VA-l is 22Kw and the Kasto 4KW But the VA-l works at much higher speeds so forces in the frame are much lower as it would be at Behringer speeds
That explains the relativly light construction
And more power works faster So a VA-L can do your production in a single shift and then some more

Peter from Holland

Tuesday I went to the Kasto USA distributor and was very impressed with their operation. Everyone there was very knowledgeable and helpful.
I was very impressed with the design and robust nature of the machine. The touch screen control was very easy to use and was way better than the PLC type that make you do everything with just a few buttons. I really feel that Kasto puts alot of thought into making their saws ready for high production and not just the normal "job shop" application.

Monday our new Kastowin 3.3 is going to be installed in our shop and I can't wait.

Attachments

• Kasto 3.3-1.jpg
    Kasto 3.3-1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 523
  • Kasto 3.3-2.jpg
    Kasto 3.3-2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,778
  • Kasto 3.3-3.jpg
    Kasto 3.3-3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • Kasto 3.3-4.jpg
    Kasto 3.3-4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,699
Wow cool!
Will you let me have a look at it when I'm up in your neck of the woods??

Tuesday I went to the Kasto USA distributor and was very impressed with their operation. Everyone there was very knowledgeable and helpful.
I was very impressed with the design and robust nature of the machine. The touch screen control was very easy to use and was way better than the PLC type that make you do everything with just a few buttons. I really feel that Kasto puts alot of thought into making their saws ready for high production and not just the normal "job shop" application.

Monday our new Kastowin 3.3 is going to be installed in our shop and I can't wait.

Looks nice...only comment is what you are calling the touchscreen, the HMI (human machine interface). seems awfully small in size and not in a very convenient location. One would think on a saw that expensive they could use a larger HMI and have it located at an angle for more comfortable programming, rather than just plopped up vertically on the guarding.

As as aside, cool design on the band wheels !

Back