What's new
What's new

Kearney and Trecker 2D spindle bearings

K&T2D

Plastic
Has anybody got experience of replacing the spindle bearings in a Kearney and Trecker 2D Rotary head mill please?

I think mine are on the way out because after a short time of running, there is a noise similar to which I would expect if one of the bearing races is rotating in the housing.

In recent years it has had long spells of standing in both hot and cold weather which could have caused the grease to thicken resulting in a bearing to semi-seize.

I will be dropping the quil out and running it without it just in case it is the drive pulley assembly but I fear the worst. Such an excellent machine.

Thanks

Catalog DC10 Model 2D Rotary Head..Page5....Spindle Bearings: "The spindle is mounted in five ball bearings...The three upper bearings are sealed for life. Remove quill stud at No. 19 and inject one-half ounce of grease for the two lower bearings once a year..Ramsay 1:)

Catalog DC10 Model 2D Rotary Head..Page5....Spindle Bearings: "The spindle is mounted in five ball bearings...The three upper bearings are sealed for life. Remove quill stud at No. 19 and inject one-half ounce of grease for the two lower bearings once a year..Ramsay 1:)

Thanks for that. I have tried putting the grease in but my concern is that the noise could be the race moving in the housing and so if I continue to use it, the housing will get more damaged. "Sealed for life" Are they at the end of the bearing's life but not the machine's?

I bought the machine from a company model shop as it shut, used it for a couple of years then sold it. A few years later I bought it back. I don't know what the maintenance history of it is. It may have been through many owners before entering the model shop. The shop manager said at the time he was using it carefully because of the bearings but I never asked why unfortunately.

I might try and get a stethoscope and have a listen.

I today removed the quill stud on my 1942 2d and pumped some grease in...I took the three socket head screws out of the trip bracket and removed it...This makes the quill stud easier to remove..It is easier if you put the two screws back in the threaded holes that attach the quill stud and put your grease gun nozzle in the hole in which the quill stud registers...The quill stud is a snug fit in the quill and is a bit hard to remove but it will come out....The lower bearings are probably of the precision grade and almost impossible to find anymore.. I would imagine the upper three bearings are just standard grade bearings.. Ramsay 1:)

My bearing supplier advises that bearings are still available. Thanks for your help.

Back