What's new
What's new

Keeping swarf out of quick change tool holders set screws

crossthread

Titanium
For some reason it seems like I am spending more and more time digging swarf out of quick change tool holder set screws. I keep one of those magnets on a stick near the lathe and that works pretty well on ferrous swarf only. I know this is a small matter, but it is annoying when you are in a hurry. Does anyone out there have a slick way to keep the set screws clean? Removing the holder and whacking it on the bench upside down does not always work. I actually did a search but all I could think of to search on was "cap screw plugs" and that was not helpful. Thanks.

Just air blast them whenever you can.
Maybe get a set of those nozzles that have small tips, they work really well for stuff like that.

an air hose works wonders, if your concerned of extraneous flying objects, put a shop towel over top.

Maybe switch to short bolts??? I like the low profile of setscrew too but if its that annoying would be a solution

I actually do use the air hose sometimes but I hate to send chips flying into weird places. Yes Digger a shop towel would stop the chips but then I've got a shop towel with chips stuck in it. I know this sounds kind of trivial but I thought someone might have an elegant simple fix that I just haven't thought of. I do like the square headed bolt idea. Back in the dark ages, when all I had was an SB9, I could use the one wrench for the Armstrong tool post, the compound swivel and the carriage lock.

I actually do use the air hose sometimes but I hate to send chips flying into weird places. Yes Digger a shop towel would stop the chips but then I've got a shop towel with chips stuck in it. I know this sounds kind of trivial but I thought someone might have an elegant simple fix that I just haven't thought of. I do like the square headed bolt idea. Back in the dark ages, when all I had was an SB9, I could use the one wrench for the Armstrong tool post, the compound swivel and the carriage lock.
I forgot....I have seen custom made blow guns for radial drill operators (fully OSHA compliant)

They take a normal blow gun with the "max 30 psi vent hole" add a longer tube (1/4" steel tube usually)
Add a 90 degree bend, and fasten a inverted funnel near the outlet end.
Drop the pipe end in the hole, and the funnel stops most all the chips.

If someone's looking for some quick income, running a bunch of replacement square-head bolts for tool holders might be a niche. Just like the olden days...

Why not just go to an off the shelf hex bolt and matching socket then?

Why not just go to an off the shelf hex bolt and matching socket then?

Have you no shame, sir! What about tradition, of hearkening back to Ye Olden Days, when Square was Cool?

Hex is for newbs.

[Real answer: regular hex bolts have a short head height, which means the wrench is less stable if left in place. Typical square head screws of this type have a head height great enough that the wrench stays stably in place. Custom screws with tall hex heads would work fine]

I was looking for something a bit more elegant then tape Matthew. Plus everything is covered in cutting fluid or oil. I think tape would be a PITA. I was thinking some kind of little plastic doohickey like the vent on a gas can. Captured so you don't lose it and cheap.

McMaster sells plastic dust covers for grease fittings. They come in 2 sizes 15/64" ID and 25/64" ID. maybe something like this will solve your problem.

McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
What size? I can experiment a little with sizing some caps that have little stems and just pop an o-ring around the stem so it holds itself in place until you want to grab it. we could even go extra fancy and cut a hex into the bottom half of the cap so it seats real nicely.

Or, if you want to do the experimenting go for it.

Back