What's new
What's new

Keeping track of cutting tool cases (end mills and taps)

Sormaz

Plastic
Does anyone have a system for keeping track of tool cases while a tool is set up in a toolholder?

The way I see it, you either

1: Keep the case with the tool (some kind of ride-along method). Con: You need somewhere to keep it while the tool is in the machine, mapped to the tool number

2: Keep the case in a separate location that is somehow related to the toolholder (serialized). Con: need to hunt and peck to find the right case

3: Keep the case in the garbage. Con: How do you identify your tools?

We are a small shop - 2 VMCs, approx 50 Cat 40 Toolholders, approx 50 unique cutting tools in our library (not counting drill bits), but even still I'm not happy with the chaos.
I want to find a solution that works for us now and is scalable if we are to double or triple our size. If we went to 10x size I might start thinking about a real tool crib, but even then what system do they use?

I'd like to hear people's answers to this too. I have close to 400 unique cutters in a Lista cabinet in labeled drawers with an inventory system through Productivity Inc. I've taken to putting used cutters back in the drawer without a case, sometimes with just the base stuck on the tip to protect it. I don't check those tools back in, I consider them spent, which means they're free to any future job that can use them, and they don't count towards inventory. That way I don't have the system telling me I have three of a cutter when they're all partially used, it only counts new cutters.

I use 10"x6" totes. One has all of the cases for my ~20 always-in-a-toolholder tools, whether those toolholders are in the machine or not. Other totes are job-specific for the drills, taps, whatever that the job needs that aren't one of the always-in-a-toolholder tools.

I never throw out the cases/tubes/sleeves. They are critical to keeping the tools from chipping each other when they're not in a toolholder.

Works for me.

Regards.

Mike

My shop may be small, but I see a lot of similarity between keeping track of tools and keeping track of parts and I have a great amount of experience there. That experience has ranged from setting up storage for small, electronic and mechanical parts up to managing a facility that occupied a city block with everything from washers up to items that needed a forklift or crane to lift.

The main thing with storing parts is to have a system where you can go directly to a location for the part, the item you want. In order to do this you must go to one of two general ideas: the first is to store the items by some kind of logical system such as an OEM or generic part number or by a physical attribute (size, thread pitch, etc.) This type of storage is usually easier to set up and faster in use, but it also has some drawbacks. If you have a bin for a 1" widget next to a bin for a 2" widget, then when you get a 1.5" widget, you must move the 2" bin and all the larger bins down one space to make room for that new item if you are going to put it in the proper place. This takes time and effort and all too frequently, it is not done. So the 1.5" widget winds up on some, randum empty shelf.

The other way is to use the available locations but have a locator system for them. And then record the location of each new item as it is added to the collection either manually or electronically (computer file). Again this has good and bad points. You lose the ability to see your entire stock of a type of widget with a single glance at one shelf. But the use of the available storage space is a lot more efficient. And that system of recording the locations must be strictly maintained or items will be lost.

I have used both of these systems and both can work. But that usually means that one or more people must be dedicated to work with them, FULL TIME. And they are the only people who are allowed to store or retrieve anything. From my experience, the first system is better when even a single full time employee is not feasible. One or more people can straighten out any problems in their "spare time". One thing that I have done when setting up such a system is to leave empty spaces for new parts (tool sizes) at frequent internals. That, along with some kind of bin or other STANDARD container for each part (tool) makes it easier to keep everything in sequence. In my example above, instead of moving all the bins with widgets larger than the 1.5" size, only a few need to be moved, usually all on one shelf.

This can be done on more than one level. So I use cardboard bins for my shop stock of bolts and nuts. One bin for each size (diameter and thread pitch). So if I suddenly must store a fastener with a new (to my shop) pitch, I just add a bin for that one by moving the other bins down to make space. But I do not stop there. INSIDE each cardboard bin I have either screw top containers or smaller mini-bins for each type and length of screw/bolt/nut. And I can also make a space inside each bin by just moving those inner containers around. Of course, everything is labeled. Hence, each fastener has IT'S place and I can go to that place very quickly.

I have extended this to some of my cutting tools, like drill bits and milling cutters. Yes, I have several drill indexes where I keep most of the bits that are in use. But I buy drill bits in quantity to get better prices. And I have cardboard bins with various smaller storage devices inside those larger bins. And likewise for milling cutters: cardboard bins that are subdivided for the various types of cutters that I have.

How this applies to the OP's question as to how I keep track of where a cutter should be stored is simple. First, I go to the larger bin for that type of cutter. Then, within that overall bin there are smaller bins or other containers where each size/number of flutes/alloy/etc. cutter is stored. AND, within that smaller bin, in most cases I will have the OEM packages. I keep a marking pen handy and MARK the OEM package when a cutter is first used. That way, I both know where to return it to when my current task is finished AND I know which packages have new and which ones have used cutters.

This works for me. And it is fairly easy to keep up with. I must confess that some times I do bring the cutter to the mill in that OEM package. But returning it to the proper bin and inner bin is easy.

If the tool is in the machine I keep a box on the bench for the empty cases. After the job is done the tools go back in cases then put in the tool room. There's several lista cabinet that are organized by tool type/size. Large tools like face mills and insert cutters stay set up on a multi-level tool holder shelf.
I've created a labeled shelf system with labeled job boxes and a searchable data base at my current job. Just search for the part number and you'll see the job box/fixture location and customer name. This idea is applicable for tooling as well and allows for a single location for tool's and their cases if you don't want anything on the bench.

Simple, organized and searchable via computer. As an added plus- put a tool list at the start of the program with the location(s).

That, along with some kind of bin or other STANDARD container for each part (tool) makes it easier to keep everything in sequence. In my example above, instead of moving all the bins with widgets larger than the 1.5" size, only a few need to be moved, usually all on one shelf.

I like this. Thinking I should buy or print containers to fit in the Lista drawers so I can more easily rearrange items. The dividers are a bit awkward to work with.

I like this. Thinking I should buy or print containers to fit in the Lista drawers so I can more easily rearrange items. The dividers are a bit awkward to work with.

I had some downtime last month so I went on a bit of a frenzy printing bins for our lista's. Throwing out the dividers was the most satisfying experience.
Bins are great because you can take them out and over to your work area. I decided to print so I could make them on demand and custom for whatever I need. The material cost is definitely cheaper than a schaller bin, but you do lose some hours designing them. I was ok with that. Took a couple iterations so get the sizing just right so they don't slide around. I also made them stackable with interlocking features.

This was actually what led me down the rabbit hole, trying to figure out a better system for storing cutting tools. What we have now is better that it was, but still not great. I'm liking EPAIII's suggestions

IMG_4429.jpg
IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4431.jpg
IMG_4432.jpg

If you use parlec's tool presetter (I assume other barnds as well) you can get tools that store tool data assembly on an rfid tag that can be read anywhere in the shop, including in the machines. It sure would be nice to have that.

Different from what I have done so far. err well I do have some plastic bins in some drawers. But that's the idea. I love it. I have a new tool box and I hope to do something like that in at least several of the drawers.

I had some downtime last month so I went on a bit of a frenzy printing bins for our lista's. Throwing out the dividers was the most satisfying experience.
Bins are great because you can take them out and over to your work area. I decided to print so I could make them on demand and custom for whatever I need. The material cost is definitely cheaper than a schaller bin, but you do lose some hours designing them. I was ok with that. Took a couple iterations so get the sizing just right so they don't slide around. I also made them stackable with interlocking features.

This was actually what led me down the rabbit hole, trying to figure out a better system for storing cutting tools. What we have now is better that it was, but still not great. I'm liking EPAIII's suggestions

View attachment 311995
View attachment 311996
View attachment 311997
View attachment 311998

Go to Walmart and buy a couple of those plastic dividers for tackle boxes. I believe they cost in the range $3.00-$10.00.

We use cut to length clear tubes from McMaster with the red plastic endcaps. It's nice to be able to see the tool inside the tube, a Brother label printer adds data. No great method of organization to share aside from bins and boxes holding certain jobs together, hoping to learn something here.

Back