State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Sweat is basically salt water...
    That covers only the gentle part.

Metallurgist & RPE Radioear called in, 1950's when 24 K Gold eletroplating was failing to human sweat, early behind the ear hearing aids, showed us the saline was not the problem.

Complex organic acids, multi-stage related actors, "Tinker, to Evers, to Chance.." rather.

Living cells.. human body - and its symbiants - high on the list, comprise an incredibly sophisticated chemical factory with catalysts and enzymes...and more.

Nanotech research, present era, is explaining rather a lot of the old mysteries as well. Some have to do simply with where Electrons are or are not, outer valence of an atom.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    There are a lot of brews available out there. But an application of ATF thinned down with mineral spirits and/or toluene seems to do a good job at low cost. A small piece of paper towel wet down with it and placed in the box with the tool works well too. The residue isn't very offensive, wipes off easily. Also fans in the shop to keep the air moving helps with condensation of water on cool iron surfaces.
    No one has mentioned...."Fluid Film" ?????...

3. Likes Pathogen, dkmc liked this post
    Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    Vanguard...it's ironic that you would mention beeswax. I have quite a bit of it since I raise bees. I thin it with turpentine until I can spray it in a Sure-Shot. I coat all my big machinery tables, vises on the mill, lathe etc. It's kind of like cosmoline light. Absolutely no rust or corrosion at all. Just a very, very thin layer does it. It wipes off easily with a rag dampened with turpentine.
    do you ever sell any? i don't use much but would much rather support a longtime PM member than amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. Do you think it's water proof and wash-off resistant? I have exposed hyd. piston rods outside I might try it on
    maybe not waterproof as the CRS on the outside racks does eventually rust, it does rain here like crazy and humidity nears 90% all summer so your mileage may vary, but it's tough stuff.. takes a strong degreaser and new green scotchbrite + a little elbow grease to get it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    T
    Living cells.. human body - and its symbiants - high on the list, comprise an incredibly sophisticated chemical factory with catalysts and enzymes...and more.
    And one of the few complex organic machines, that's self-replicating! (two humans required for this application)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    And one of the few complex organic machines, that's self-replicating! (two humans required for this application)
    Actually not. to either. Most living things are serious-complex. Human DNA still carries the needfuls for Parthenogenesis.

But is IS more fun with at least two. Or so the grownups claim?

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    I heard people that drink lots of Coca Cola are culprits of acidic rusty finger prints ???

Most all soda is overloaded with Citric and Phosphoric acid, not to even mention HFCS. Bad shit, even worse if you drink it. I kicked the habit about 7 years ago NO regrets.

Another point related to DIY concoctions......ATF is petroleum based. Acetone I believe is not. Doesn't mix and may separate. Best to use a thinner such as Mineral Spirits or Toluene that will mix with Dino oils.I see the posts on other forums of people mixing their DIY brews and complaining things separate. ATF and Acetone seem popular. I am not a chemist...concoct at your own peril.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most all soda is overloaded with Citric and Phosphorous acid. Bad shit, even worse if you drink it. I kicked the habit about 7 years ago no regrets.
    And then there is the sugar. And adult-onset diabetes.

Worse yet? The artificial sweeteners in the "Diet" varieties.

Not carcinogenic? Not to you, "directly". Maybe.

But they cause yer GUT bacteria to produce nasty toxins and carcinogens.

Go figure we'd see a rise in colon cancer, too?

"muricans.

Those careless people who dig their graves with their own lips and teeth, chill on "recreational" drugs so they don't even notice they're f**ked without the enjoyment of f**king.

While they still CAN.

No fear, "Obamacare" or "Medicare for all" will see to it they live forever at no charge.

Or maybe it will just SEEM like "forever", whilst staggering under the cost of all that "free stuff"?

Go figure there's such as thing as a "Free Lunch" after all.... and it even comes with Diet Soda, legalized weed, and synthetic burger, still mostly genuine salt and grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes sugar.......HFCS High Fructose Corn Syrup......also (should be) known as SWP......slow working poison. I was addicted to that crap, like most of the US population.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Most all soda is overloaded with Citric and Phosphoric acid, not to even mention HFCS. Bad shit, even worse if you drink it. I kicked the habit about 7 years ago NO regrets.
    Yup.… Been addressed many years ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bloom-counnty-soda.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy on the dairy as well, cows milk is for calf's not humans

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep them away from all the bullshit on PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy on the dairy as well, cows milk is for calf's not humans
    Bugger off. Mammals is mammals. They jest wear dif'rent bra shapes.

You ain't takin' my midnight chonklit full-octane Jersey cow milk outta the plan. Damage comes from all those "low fat" dishwater and artificial powders blends.

Don't even THINK about interferin' with my cheeses, neither!

Mind, we can revisit this once out of the "calf" stage.

'Bout a hundred, chronologically, ain't it? How's 2045 work for yah?

16. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Keep them away from all the bullshit on PM.
    Kiddin'? You seen the ALTERNATIVE on Tee Vee and in public venues?

Or in the chambers of Congresses and Parliaments?

G'G'Dad ^9th arrested George Fox. More than once.

But I b'lieve the old boy was right about one thing. Fox. Not Hacker.

Humankind's infinite ability to disagree.

Speaking to his first ever convert, onct there were TWO "Quakers" in the world.

"Brother, all the world is mad... but thee and me!"

"And THOU art a bit queer!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TV's as bad as HFCS! I've been TV free for almost 8 years now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TV's as bad as HFCS! I've been TV free for almost 8 years now.
    Piker. Middle of my 76th.... never really started, "The Army-McCarthy Hearings" as boring as they were..

And then? The math was all wrong even before the quality departed and it went to 70-80 % adverts.

Take any medium interesting novel.

Now . even at the highest of quality, it needs 2, 3, 4 or even an all season long run to complete, onct broken into episodes and serialized.

But even at rather average reading speeds, one has read the entire book in 2 to 4 hours. With retention good enough you just CANNOT open it and read it again anything less that 20 to 30 years, later. If even EVER.

Fast readers, less time, yet, of course. But usually at well below 95%-plus retention.

Why would you ever tune in the second episode?

And that was the GOOD stuff.

Not the trash as to which Armenian-American female has the most ponderous ass, heaviest legs, weirdest family, and most badly f**ked-up relationships and kin - all chronically doing stupider s**t that even your idiot Uncle got into when stinking drunk in a Laotian brothel, back in 1965.

Why wuddja care?

20. Likes crossthread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    Would like to know what this stuff is, is it silica gel?
    yes, thats it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll admit to using a "Kinder , Gentler " term for now....?.....42 years on the RUST caused by handling? I have called it -----
    "TOMATO HANDS" ;^}
    I actually first called fellow STRING playing musicians this first. Luckily I am rather blessed with "Oily Fingers" if anything. Many guitarists have complimented my " Gleaming Well Oiled Strings" , yet I have NEVER treated them with anything at all.
    Okay,not addressing any coatings or treatments. Luckily for myself , I insulated my Home shop to death when I built it. R-50+ Ceilings with reflective barriers ,R-23+ for the walls ,the doors are the weakest of course at about R-13 . Building is just 54x30 and the Drier Equipped Air Compressor is in it a separate building 15 feet away.
    "I don't want to LISTEN to IT ! ;^}
    My shop stays virtually rust free ,and SWEATING of the equipment is virtually absent. It is but a couple of Auto Lifts ,a Bridgeport with piles of work holding fixtures, Bandsaw,Grinders,Tig ,Mig and Plasma with an 18" American Pacemaker for the lathe and all the tooling,most in Cabinets. Those never really rust at all thankfully.
    Despite the Mississippi SWAMP Humidity ,a couple hundred yards from Tennessee.
    In now 23 years this structure has never been warmer than 84° ,when yes,108° outside. And 46° when -03° one winter day. It is Central Air Conditioned and I'll sheepishly admit ,I have never made the hot water radiant floor heat active .....YET. Getting a little more Cold sensitivities as I just turn 60 the other day.2 or 3 little Electric Heaters have handled it rather easily for years.
    So dedication to insulation and the dumb luck of very neutral skin has been my primary corrosion prevention paradigm. ;^D
    PS.- Yeah, I DO have a few Camphor/Urinal Treatment Blocks in a few of the cabinets and Tool Boxes. A habit leftover from decades of being in HYPER HUMID buildings professionally in Naval /Weapons/ Water Craft Research .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Someone did mention it. It works, but it’s expensive

however, the active ingredient is common lanolin. That is what I use, thinned with ATF or mineral spirits. Rust free for a decade now.

Lanolin is about $16/lb on eBay and other places. 1 pound lasts for years, as does the rust protection.