What's new
What's new

Kennametal Machine Vise Questions

nicholasnbailey

Aluminum
I recently bought this Kennametal vise at an online auction under the assumption that it would probably be a chinese knock off but was surprised when I saw USA on the castings. I believe this is actually just a rebranded Kurt D60 since it appears identical to my other D60's. Has anyone saw another one of these vises?
92ff7efacaa99c749c3ec3814dec02f9.jpg
38ec80274465de80b653b1ebcb21ed8f.jpg
df670f46045b784342db8471736d1361.jpg
a56c52d45a02140c564985f776686f02.jpg

Sent from my A577VL using Tapatalk

There was a time in the early/mid '90's that Kennametal really wanted to get into retail tooling. They bought J&L Industrial Supply, which was a fair sized supplier in the Detroit area, and took J&L nationwide. I suspect the vise dates from that era.

Yeah that's a rebranded Kurt fo' sho'. Never seen one before, but not really anything special. Just a different riveted tag by the looks of it.

I miss J&L, unlike MSC, J&L didn't suck.

Yeah, I know, I miss them too. I worked for many years in the Detroit area when J & L was off Grand River, just around the corner from Production Tool. If we took a long lunch we could hit both stores and be back at work in a little over an hour.

But both J and L (Joe and Larry, perhaps) had started their business after WW2 when there was thousands of tons of obsolete tooling available. They were both getting up in their years, had no family with an interest to take over the business, and wanted to retire.

Yep- kinda like Orchard Supply Hardware out here. Sears bought the chain, f_cked it up, then it got bought by Lowes and now they are liquidating Orchard to get them out of the way of their big box stores.

Dan --

Orchard Supply's downfall started when the founders sold out. Sears was the third "corporate owner", following behind W R Grace and Wickes Lumber.

Although I'm saddened by Lowes' closing of Orchard Supply, I do think that Lowes put a lot of time and effort into resurrecting the company before throwing the towel.

As an aside, the long-gone Simon Hardware in Oakland set my standard for "real hardware store".

John

I`ve Got One Too

I bought mine a few years ago and also wondered about who really made it. When I took it apart to clean it up, there were D60 part numbers on every piece with a big `ole USA too. I wrote to Kurt asking if they made vices for Kennametal and this was the response I received:

Hi Mark,

We did not make a vise for Kennametal, I am told they had their own at one time. Not sure if our parts will work or not as it is not ours.

Best Regards,Steve Kane, Sales & Marketing Manager, Kurt Industrial Products Division

That being said, could Kennametal or a vendor hired by them, have purchased raw castings from Kurt and machined them and put the Kennametal tag on them ? They sure look like Kurt castings to me !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 105
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 108
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 117
Let me clarify myself. We made a black vise for both J&L and Bridgeport in the past. My mistake not connecting Kennametal and J&L.

Is this serious? It looks like a Kurt so it must be a Kurt knockoff? Or it was made with real Kurt castings?

How does it operate????? Does it have the same "pull down" action as a Kurt? Is it as accurate as a Kurt? I mean, any Chinese factory can make one that looks like a Kurt. Many do.

I fear that if you want a Kurt, you will have to buy a Kurt.

Back