What's new
What's new

Kennametal VS Hitachi

Vifa

Plastic
Hi,

I have been looking at some different indexable high feed mills, but need some advice on which one to buy.

Any recommendations on the following brands I have been looking at ?

- Kennametal
- Stellram
- Hitachi

Best Regards
Vifa

I would go for a 5" Kennametal because it can remove a lot of material since it is so big. For even greater productivity you can step up to the 6" version. Both sizes work extremely well in small, under powered milling machines such as a Haas VF1.

This recommendation is based on all the information you have provided such as the machine you are using, type of work you plan to do, material you will be machining, etc.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I have three DMG machines: DMU100, DMC835V and DMU60E
I work in everything from aluminium to hardened marterials, I have a big variety of my tasks.

We have been very satisfired with KennaMetal in the past in connection with solid carbide end mills and drills. We use their F4AS Harvi end mills for everything from mild steel to hardened materials - they work like a charm. They are the only end mills we order as they suit every task (for aluminium we use another line of end mills from a local brand).
The GoDrill B04x and B05x drills are our favourite solid carbide drills. They can be used in everything from aluminium to hardened materials - a really good drill both in life time and perfomance.

Since we have been so satisfired with the products from KennaMetal so far, I find it hard to choose between Hitachi and KennaMetal. I have always been told that Hitachi was among the best you could get. I have tried the ASRFB Mini Turbo4 from Hitachi and found it quite good. Then I tried the AHUM15 also from Hitachi, and it was a mixed experience. Lifetime has not been as expected, performance such as Ap and Ae seems reasonable and also the rate for removal of material seems to be good.

So what do you guys think I should go for: Hitachi or KennaMetal ?

Furthermore, the salesman from KennaMetal advised me to buy high feed mills from Stellram, as he found the high feed line from Stellram better than the line from KennaMetal.

So what to choose ? - Hitachi, Stellram or KennaMetal ?

I need input, thought, feedback and would like to hear others experiences.

Best Regards
Vifa

I would go for a 5" Kennametal because it can remove a lot of material since it is so big. For even greater productivity you can step up to the 6" version. Both sizes work extremely well in small, under powered milling machines such as a Haas VF1.

This recommendation is based on all the information you have provided such as the machine you are using, type of work you plan to do, material you will be machining, etc.

I hope this helps.

I find myself posting this thing quite a bit lately, just this, really:

coolface.png

Honestly, I've never used any of those brands so I can't comment. I have used Mitsubishi though and they are very good. Is there any way you can get a tool rep in and test out different brands?

Hi again,

I have now tried the following from Hitachi:

AHUM15
ASPVM
ASRFB MINI

.. And I have not been very impressed. The AHUM15 is horrible, the inserts didn't last no longer than 15 minutes in mild steel, and the results was not impressive.

The ASPVM was not optimal for helical milling in holes. Took too long and didn't deliver perfect surface finish as I expected.

The only thing that did work just a little bit was the high feed ASRFB, but I guess the geometry of the high feed principle makes all high feed mill work just as good as the other.

I am returning all the stuff from Hitachi, and will go to try Kennametal on monday.

Our turning department has experienced better lifetime on Kennametal inserts than Sandvik.

I could say that my experience has been the polar opposite, but there are so many variables that it means nothing. As a blanket statement, I don't think highly of Kennametal tools.

By limiting yourself to those three you're ruling out some much better tools. Kennametal and Stellram are now one and the same anyhow.

For big stuff, Sandvik's R210 is pretty much unmatched - provided you have a strong enough machine for the job. The R210 doesn't work well on light machines, especially at the sizes you are talking about.

Hi all

We tried the Mill 4-15 and Mill 1-15 from Kennametal today. The Mill 4-15 was a great succes and we decided to keep it. It is perfect if you are looking for a tool to do both face and side milling with.

The Mill 1-15 didn't suit our expectations or our tasks, so we swapped this one for a Stellram 7792VX which we will recieve tomorrow and test.

We tried the Stellram 7792VX high feed mill with the X500 inserts today and was quite satisfired.
We are keeping this one for sure.

Back