What's new
What's new

Kennedy Roll Away toolbox: How to remove slider rail

MichaelP

Titanium
I need to remove the rail (part of the slider that is attached to the toolbox wall). They are not welded (do they call them latch type?). I don't want to force anything, so if anyone can explain to me how to do it or post a photo of the part showing the latches, I'd appreciate it.

The problem is that I've got a used toolbox, and one pair of sliders was installed upside down. As a result one of the sliders is stuck in the back position, and it looks like it's kept in this position by something other than the flat springs. I want to see if I can disconnect the assembly from the cabinet wall to find and fix the problem.

OK, I figured it out. I just checked how a the drawer wall rail is attached. ;) Flat screwdriver is pushed between the wall and the rail where a small semi-circular indentation/latch to release it. Then the rail in pushed into the same side were the screwdriver was inserted to release the holding tabs.

This moment, when you find an answer for your question in an old abandoned thread, LOL. Op, thank you! This information helped me a lot. BTW, I'm thinking about building a new drewer. On my own. As I can see, I'm not the only victim of a clumsy carpenters which doesn't understand what they're doing. I even bought materials for this purpose. A good wood, some steel parts and some modern German linear guides for the drawer rail (or, as they call it, modern linearführungen für schubladenschiene). I will start to build this one as soon as quarantine ends.

Where can I find some more feedback?

FWIW....it’s sometimes hard to find replacement rails for older boxes. My 30 year old Snap On had a bad rail.....after searching online...I gave up. Drilled out the rivet on the broken spring stop and made a new stop out of spring steel. You easily find some spring steel from MCMaster or just use some repurposed spring steel laying in your junk box.
I fixed the rail out of frustration and it’s been working fine for over a year now. It was easier than I thought it would be.

my kennedy box had a bad rail and i called them up, they have new rails on there websight. the old rails on mine were just steel slides and the new ones are on a bearing. the old ones are spot welded to the walls of the box so you have to grind them and rivet the new ones back on.

Back