Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't mind having one tubular key. Small price to pay for the slightly added security of an inconsiderate coworker intent upon borrowing a tool (or believing one of his is in your box.)

When I got the 3 tubular locks from Kennedy (all different latch types), they came with two keys each despit being the same key. All had the "handle end" encased in thick black plastic, making it thick and bulky. I removed the plastic from the one key I carry around.

My main reason for changing was that a coworker showed me how his lock & key were so worn that he could easily open it with almost anything that fit in the slot. A tubular key probably wears slower, or is at least going to slow down a casual thief. If you want locks other than the options form Kennedy, you may have an inordinate amount of modification to do to get the latch configurations correct for your boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work in a 20 man shop and only one guy locks his box and that is just out of habit. No problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My middle box came in the mail. The 5150b. I am hesitent on putting it on my box with the 11 drawer on top. Those stacking clips dont look like they will do their job...i move my box on average 5 times a week. Has anyone had problems with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    I don't mind having one tubular key. Small price to pay for the slightly added security of an inconsiderate coworker intent upon borrowing a tool (or believing one of his is in your box.)

When I got the 3 tubular locks from Kennedy (all different latch types), they came with two keys each despit being the same key. All had the "handle end" encased in thick black plastic, making it thick and bulky. I removed the plastic from the one key I carry around.
    I did the same thing with my keys. I also took one of them and stuck it to a magnet that's hidden in the shop for those rare occasions where I forget my keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nopeskillz View Post
    My middle box came in the mail. The 5150b. I am hesitent on putting it on my box with the 11 drawer on top. Those stacking clips dont look like they will do their job...i move my box on average 5 times a week. Has anyone had problems with them?
    I've had my middle box for at least 10 years, but when I put my clips on, I drilled a hole and bolted each of them down. I can't remember if they were meant to be bolted, or if I just decided that it would be a good idea. My box rarely moves, so I can't really comment on the durability. However, if the floor that it's rolling on is flat, there shouldn't be too much of a load on the clips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

did you bolt the boxes together or the clip to only one box? i was thinking of running a bolt through both boxes and the clip just to be safe... i dont want to regret it later in my career and have and oh shit moment costing me thousands and thousands of dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nopeskillz View Post
    did you bolt the boxes together or the clip to only one box? i was thinking of running a bolt through both boxes and the clip just to be safe... i dont want to regret it later in my career and have and oh shit moment costing me thousands and thousands of dollars.
    My side boxes are bolted to the main box, but none of the uppers are attached to each other. I am a firm believer in gravity. They are also never moved without being locked shut first, but I also rarely move them.

It would be easy to bolt them together, it just takes a little time. If you are moving your box a lot, I would attach them to each other.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2019 here. We just bought 4 Kennedy 52611B tool boxes for the shop. Absolute overpriced junk. All 4 of the front slide cover were bent, all the same. The plastic handles, the drawers bind, all 4 locks require jiggling to get the to lock or unlock. Dont fall for the name the history, they are very poor quality. And I just bought a top and bottom box at Looowws that has ball bearing drawer's, huge easy moving wheels, outlet strip with USB ports, and very nice drawer liners for only $100 more on sale, and it is 4 times larger.

I dont understand the idea of the Kennedy. I think it is just a overrated, and bad design besides being cheaply made.

Just had to vent. Hate to see others waste money

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of us made risers
    0724191133_hdr.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jsned250 View Post
    2019 here. We just bought 4 Kennedy 52611B tool boxes for the shop. Absolute overpriced junk. All 4 of the front slide cover were bent, all the same. The plastic handles, the drawers bind, all 4 locks require jiggling to get the to lock or unlock. Dont fall for the name the history, they are very poor quality. And I just bought a top and bottom box at Looowws that has ball bearing drawer's, huge easy moving wheels, outlet strip with USB ports, and very nice drawer liners for only $100 more on sale, and it is 4 times larger.

I dont understand the idea of the Kennedy. I think it is just a overrated, and bad design besides being cheaply made.

Just like everything else, quality has gone way down while prices steadily rise. Just how it is I suppose.

I bought my boxes in the mid-late 90's and they have held up fairly well. A few rust spots here and there from paint chipping off. No real dents or dings, drawers still slide fairly well (not easy because of the weight in non ball bearing slides), especially considering a few of them easily have 100 lbs of stuff in them. BUT I like to attribute most of that to taking care of them too. Always wiped down my tools before putting away, did not recklessly 'slam' drawers or sit my box in a high traffic area so other clowns couldn't screw it up, etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to share this here.

KENNEDY No.526 - 26” ELVEN DRAWER MACHINIST CHEST, AND TWO DRAWER BASE - tools - by owner - sale

Looks like a helluva deal for anyone in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    drawers still slide fairly well (not easy because of the weight in non ball bearing slides), especially considering a few of them easily have 100 lbs of stuff in them.
    One thing that I have found that greatly reduces the friction in friction drawer slides it to lubricate them with parafin wax. I have Waterloo tool chests (similar slide) full of endmills and they open quite easily. Same goes for Kennedy tool boxes I have treated.

For best results, you need to clean off all dirt and old oil or grease lubrication. Kind of a pain to scrub off everything carefully with solvent, but it makes a difference. Then rub a block of parafin wax on the sliding surfaces. Vacuum up any parafin wax flakes that have fallen off. Then reassemble. Since the wax is dry it will not collect dirt like oil or grease.

12. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 8 Kennedy's but all from the 70's or early 80's. They are built very well. I have them all loaded up with hundreds of pounds of tooling and everything has worked great for years. No rust, thick steel, very well made. No complaints at all. They aren't Vidmar's but I didn't expect them to be.

I saw the prices they asked for new ones and just assumed they were still made just as well as all my old ones. Sad to hear another company let a Harvard MBA tell them how they could increase profits with "no downside". I wish they cared but chances are the white collar people running the company and the blue collar Chinese people making them don't care in the slightest.

14. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought I'd pile on as well. I bought my Kennedy back in 2014 and was very disappointed with what I got verses what I saw all the old timers with. The clips to hold the drawers in are made of plastic instead of steel now. The drawers stick pretty bad and worst of all the casters it came with were absolute grade A Chinese garbage. They sent flat head screws instead of hex to attach them so it was a pain in the ass to tighten them down with the caster in the way and the casters were so loose and sloppy that when I stood the box up right they casters were hitting the screw heads so they couldn't swivel. I had to grind down the screw heads and the back plate of the caster slightly in order for them to be able to swivel 360 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading this makes me furious. I'm at a lost for words to express my disappointment. How could Kennedy let this happen? We all need to send a link to this posting to Kennedy to make them aware of our disappointment. The problem doesn't go back to China, it goes back to those who were responsible for the decision to outsource it. Quality is something that can't be outsourced.
    I have 6 Kennedy tool boxes around here of various sizes and shapes, all more than 15 years old. All were made in the USA and all still work as new. My first Kennedy box was purchased around 1975. It is an old stile roll-a-way cabinet that has a folding front cover that covers the drawers and despite falling off a fork lift once it still serves me well today. I too made an open riser like the one shown above that sits on the roll-a-way with a two drawer riser and 526 on top of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jsned250 View Post

I have alays been happy with the quality of my Kennedy tool boxes, but I always bought used ones. It seems to me that Kennedy's biggest competitor for machinist boxes was their own product on the used market. I just sold off a handfull of used 520 boxes I had at work (poor to good condition) and the sales prices were $20 - $45 each.

For reference, Kennedy was sold to privately owned Cornwell Tools in 2016.