What's new
What's new

Kent Knee Mill Milling machine

Raul McCai

Aluminum
Looking at a Kent Knee Mill. Circa 1960s I'm guesing.
It's cheap enough to be appealing and Kent is still making machinery.
Any one know anything about the machines?
good bad or whatever?

I've used them
run of the mill Bridgeport clone
parts available out of California
I'd buy one if price and condition is what I needed

I've been using one for 30 years (intermittently). I don't use it for any sort of 'production' so it's not worn out. It is not an impressive machine but is versatile. I guess maybe it is the Bridgeport design, but I hate all the itty bitty parts in the power feed and the quill drive is a bit puny, i.e. don't go bearing down hard on large drills with it.

I recommend putting a power draw bar air motor on the top of it to facilitate tool changing. It will save you much time. I made a 4" column riser that is permanently attached, and so the draw bar bolt is pretty high up there.

Also a good DRO is key to satisfaction with any mill.

Back when I used to use a lot of HSS endmills, I needed flood coolant on the machine. The table coolant collection trough is nonexistent. I made a large drip pan to catch the incidental drips. This was fashioned to attach beneath the table elevator screw: just clamp the knee to the column, unfasten the screw base, wind the screw up and then slip the drip pan underneath and fasten it down again. So you end up with plenty of toe space beneath the pan instead of tripping over something.

. . . just clamp the knee to the column, unfasten the screw base, wind the screw up and then slip the drip pan underneath and fasten it down again. So you end up with plenty of toe space beneath the pan instead of tripping over something.

I'm really glad you took the time to describe this. I've been trying to come up with a good way to add a big pan and that's it! Thanks.

Ended up with a lovely ENCO knee mill It's seen so few hours the frosting is still on the ways. It's got a one shot oiler too. and not even 35-Thou of backlash.
Cost? Six hours on the road two hours manually loading it on a trailer (because all we had were rollers and a come along and a lousy $600 No rust the dark stuff is just grime. They used it as a glorified drill press didn't eve know how to operate it. Were shocked when I engaged the quill feed. Didn't know it did that.
enco miller head.jpgEnco miller front full.jpgEnco miller  head-02.jpgenco miller tables-02.jpg

I've been using one for 30 years (intermittently). I don't use it for any sort of 'production' so it's not worn out. It is not an impressive machine but is versatile. I guess maybe it is the Bridgeport design, but I hate all the itty bitty parts in the power feed and the quill drive is a bit puny, i.e. don't go bearing down hard on large drills with it.

I recommend putting a power draw bar air motor on the top of it to facilitate tool changing. It will save you much time. I made a 4" column riser that is permanently attached, and so the draw bar bolt is pretty high up there.

Also a good DRO is key to satisfaction with any mill.

Back when I used to use a lot of HSS endmills, I needed flood coolant on the machine. The table coolant collection trough is nonexistent. I made a large drip pan to catch the incidental drips. This was fashioned to attach beneath the table elevator screw: just clamp the knee to the column, unfasten the screw base, wind the screw up and then slip the drip pan underneath and fasten it down again. So you end up with plenty of toe space beneath the pan instead of tripping over something.

A picture is worth a 10,000 words! Sounds interesting. I made an enclosure that surrounded the vice but is a pain in the rear to use.

Tom

I had bought an ENCO mill just like that.It was tipped over during a hurricane in Miami.Brand new but X & Y screws were broken off at the handles.It was Korean made and a pretty well made machine.When I repaired the screws I found it had New departure bearings in it.Wonder how that happened?

Back