What's new
What's new

Key locks, looking for a good security interchangeable core

Bondo

Hot Rolled
Since I do shop, field, contract work, and have a lot of equipment on trailers, I'm looking for a quality padlock with interchangeable cores so I can key different items to certain people.

I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube and I see some are junk and some are great. Obviously price is always an issue, but I would want not bad but not great because it's easier to steal the trailer then break the lock on some items.

I was looking at Bilock and Abus but I would like to see if anyone else has suggestions. Mostly looking for padlocks but I would like to be able to change door locks out if required as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I frequent a shop that uses "Best" and I was conversing with the locksmith, he showed me how
they change out the tumbler very simply.

If you've watched the LockPickingLawyer (bet you have) then you're aware nothing that uses a key is really secure. Go with any quality lock that allows interchanging of cores, but also invest in a good wired or wireless video recording system, as well as checking out the various "tracker" systems to use in the more valuable assets that are at risk.

Here are some tracking options, no idea if any are really good:

5 Best GPS Vehicle Trackers | SafeWise

Last edited:
As for padlocks, look for one's that have full side protection from bolt cutters, cordless tool molesting. Used to be American Lock was good, but since MAster Lock bought them, I don't think they make any of it anymore. A local locksmith could help you on keying them all alike and adding security pins to help slow down a lock picker. I've actually repinned several of my locks I have. Not too hard to learn.

There's also a outfit call Paclock, They pretty much make a lock similar to those that used to be made by American Lock. I prefer them over Master Lock. They do offer locks that are hard to be molested by tools. They do sell on Amazon. Amazon.com : paclock

Best SFIC is really good and standard.

Youu can get American padlock shackle style that is well built or you can get the hockey buck style.

Different folks make cores to that standard so you can swap out to a loaner core for visitors.

We have every door in the house with SFIC locks and deadbolts.

Can change all in not too long.

Ours are multi-key so different keys with grand Master.

Mixed cores on the doors do 3 keys to enter or grand Master for all.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I recently watched a pair of lock videos. One was by a guy who challenged the LockPickingLawyer and the other was by him. The challenger hand crafted two door locks. They had dual cylinders such that one cylinder had to be rotated with the key before the other one would even start moving. The pins in both were determined by the key with the second cylinder's pins locked in their position when the first cylinder started moving. There was no way to access the pins in the second cylinder after the first one was rotated so, yes the first one could be picked in the traditional manner but the second one was then inaccessible. The two locks were variations on this theme. Weeks of work went into them.

He sent the two locks to the LockPickingLawyer who examined them and then picked each of them in less than a minute.

Another video I recently watched was on garage door openers. The guy had a video game controller which he re-programmed. It apparently went through all possible garage door opener codes in about three minutes. He stood outside of a multiple door garage and hit the button. All the doors (5 or 6) were opened in under three minutes. Not one at a time, but all at once with only one button press.

I think that any door lock only keeps the honest people honest. The real crooks can defeat any of them IN SHORT ORDER. A good video system is a must and the thieves should be aware of it. Motion detectors. Lights that come on. Overlapping coverage on the cameras so they can't kill them by approaching from the rear. Etc.

The GPS trackers are also a good thing.

If you've watched the LockPickingLawyer (bet you have) then you're aware nothing that uses a key is really secure. Go with any quality lock that allows interchanging of cores, but also invest in a good wired or wireless video recording system, as well as checking out the various "tracker" systems to use in the more valuable assets that are at risk.

Here are some tracking options, no idea if any are really good:

5 Best GPS Vehicle Trackers | SafeWise

Locks just keep amateurs and honest people out. A four inch cut off wheel in a battery powered grinder can't be stopped no matter how hard the shackle or how pick proof the cylinder is.

The easiest pad lock for your situation is a resettable combination style . Change the combination any time, no key necessary.

It is amazing how fast a practiced thief can defeat a lock.
GPS tracker would seem like a good idea but how to keep the battery charged?
Sis has a battery powered ring doorbell up north. Handy as heck, calls the cell phone, easy to look see how much snow, etc.
Except for the one fact that that the battery keeps dying. Would think a trailer would have the same problem since no outside power supply.
Some hope that the bad guys would hook up the trailer lights.

A normal and not fancy lock keeps honest people honest. Past that... insurance.
Bob

Since I do shop, field, contract work, and have a lot of equipment on trailers, I'm looking for a quality padlock with interchangeable cores so I can key different items to certain people.

What do you mean by "good security"? What are your main threats? Forcible entry, or people making a copy and sneaking in later? Or what? Are they skilled enough to pick locks, and as a practical matter can they do this without being noticed and caught? And so on. In security, this is called a threat model.

I’ve used the Mul-T-Lock system for nearly ten years. They’re not cheap, but they have a locking solution for everything but residential.

They’re also cool because they use both a “tuned” magnet as well as the machined profile to lock/unlock tumblers. This system allows master, slave and skeleton keys.

Basically you can issue keys to all employees to access the doors… then you can have the same overall lock and key on the front doors as well as your tool crib and personal office. The difference is that only one or two keys will access the tool crib and only one key accesses your office.

Here’s a picture of my shop key:
84024922fe4746ac783983b998e4238b.jpg

280f3591fe64f9f175cf42a93183a217.jpg

The part my thumbnail is pointing to on the right side of the key is the magnet. It’s my understanding that the cylinders and tumblers are all the same, but that magnet engaging or not adds another level and the lock cylinder can differentiate.

Be
Safe

Jeremy

The only time in my life that I've needed to break a lock involved an insert cylinder type door lock. Took 10-15 seconds with a flat blade screwdriver and a pair of pliers to pop out the cylinder and open the door.

I was illegally locked out of my workspace and needed to get in. Easy

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am going to be researching some of these replies to get what I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One thought. Best is the standard for IC cores, BUT you can do the same thing with master lock pro series. I like the pro series because they are available with hardened shackles and shackle guards ( iron or steel), and also with 1/4” shackles for small tool boxes and the like, and an aluminum version for LOTO or similar low security applications. I have about 7 variants I use.

Best requires a core key that is a master key to remove the core. Master lock can be changed with any key that opens the lock plus an Allen wrench. Granted most of of secretaries can change Best cores.

The construction of the lock has one major flaw, you can drill out the domed nut that locks the plate over the bottom of the cylinder. Not an easy attack in the field, trivial in a vise.

I would look at paclock, they offer many different types of lock bodies which can be used in many different applications, and you can buy a pack of cores that are made to be swapped y someone who knows nothing about locks.

Back