What's new
What's new

Kikinda Surface Grinder

ducatimech

Plastic
I have a Kikinda urb 1000 surface grinder. I have run into a recent issue where the overload on on of the axis motors has become damaged. I could rewire it with an intrigal overload and new contactor, however it seems easier to find another overload. I have had no lock sourcing one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Is it a thermal overload, current overload, belt tension kill switch? What power source, Singel phase, three phase, DC?

It is a thermal and current overload wired right into the motor. Three phase stepper motor with encoder. May not be a true stepper.
20160107_100529[1].jpg

Oh, it's all perfectly clear now.

If you cannot figure out what this is by my description and the picture I am not sure you have worked on too many machines. I have seen these in a/c compressors on Shizuaka mills and an multitudes of different machines. They are thermal overloads. They can be triped by a hot motor or an over amperage. I have no idea where to source one of these for a Yugoslavian grinder. The alternative would be a fairly big wiring project to replace six relays controlling this stepper type motor. Obviously I am searching for help from someone Who possibly has dealt with this. Obviously you have not so thanks for your comment hopefully you amused yourself.

three wires in three wires out thermal overload relay. Kikinda urb1000 surface grinder, picture here no markings anyone who could help instead of jeering would be appreciated

If you cannot figure out what this is by my description and the picture I am not sure you have worked on too many machines. I have seen these in a/c compressors on Shizuaka mills and an multitudes of different machines. They are thermal overloads. They can be triped by a hot motor or an over amperage. I have no idea where to source one of these for a Yugoslavian grinder. The alternative would be a fairly big wiring project to replace six relays controlling this stepper type motor. Obviously I am searching for help from someone Who possibly has dealt with this. Obviously you have not so thanks for your comment hopefully you amused yourself.

three wires in three wires out thermal overload relay. Kikinda urb1000 surface grinder, picture here no markings anyone who could help instead of jeering would be appreciated

take a look at the picture
now it is becoming clear?;)

Yes it interrupts directly between motor and contactor, no loop back to contactor. There is not much room in the coduit to add extra wires to loop back. I would prefer not to replace with contactors and overloads. Last polish lathe I did gave me nightmares. However do you know a source for anything looking like that? I was able to source others I have found by markings, none here.

Update,
Apparently I have not worked on enough of these to know what things are. I cut into the plastic case on what I though was an overload and soldered to the broken wires reconnected it and it is a brake. Keeps the motor still in between impulses to move. every motor on the machine is equipped with one sans the main spindle motor.

Update,
Apparently I have not worked on enough of these to know what things are. I cut into the plastic case on what I though was an overload and soldered to the broken wires reconnected it and it is a brake. Keeps the motor still in between impulses to move. every motor on the machine is equipped with one sans the main spindle motor.

These units are snubbers not brakes. The motors are normal 3 phase motors that are pulsed on and off to move the table in and out. They are used to "kill" the spark that is generated across the contacts of the contactor, when it opens up to stop the motor. They keep the electronics on the circuit boards from malfunctioning. Additional ones can be placed in the electrical enclosure when the ones on the motor fail.

Posted by michiganbuck:"Might be a great machine but it seems the hand wheels are a bit far apart."

It is an automatic with a meter of table travel, and quite a bit of vertical travel as well. Fairly crude control of table advance, but serviceable downfeed advance. Definitely not in the same class as an Okamoto.

Bill

I passed on a big one after messing with it for a week trying to figure out the wireing. It was free for the taking but I couldnt get it running. I almost performed and electroectomy but felt my time would be better spent watching cartoons than flogging this poor animal.

For the price I paid and fairly low maintenance I have done it has been a great machine. It has a Futaba dro- z axis controller installed to replace the huge box it used to have. and it has an aftermarket mag chuck and controller. In fact I paid less that the 10x20 mag chuck would have been used! Came this way. Works fairly well and the machine itself grinds flat. Cant ask for more in my current shop uses. I am very happy with it. I am just going to have to keep it going. Maybe a candidate for a centroid retrofit at some time. I sure would not pay 10k for this machine but I am not sure you could get anything better for 10k?

I will say every yogoslovian/check machine I have worked on the wiring has been confusing to say the least.

For the price I paid and fairly low maintenance I have done it has been a great machine. It has a Futaba dro- z axis controller installed to replace the huge box it used to have. and it has an aftermarket mag chuck and controller. In fact I paid less that the 10x20 mag chuck would have been used! Came this way. Works fairly well and the machine itself grinds flat. Cant ask for more in my current shop uses. I am very happy with it. I am just going to have to keep it going. Maybe a candidate for a centroid retrofit at some time. I sure would not pay 10k for this machine but I am not sure you could get anything better for 10k?

I will say every yogoslovian/check machine I have worked on the wiring has been confusing to say the least.
I bought mine at an auction maybe 14 years ago and was annoyed to find it wouldn't run properly (can't remember now what it wouldn't do)...so it sat around for years before I finally got around to messing with the wiring. I had the diagrams thank goodness and finally got it running properly and sold it on eBay.

Actually ran great after that but I was not impressed with details like the automatic depth of grind mechanism...a bit Rube Goldbergish and fragile. Also the Y axis travel was a bit shallow compared to the X length of travel.

Also annoying was the control electrical box sat separately from the machine. Paint quality was abysmal as well. (all original paint on mine...clean machine but dull thin paint ) Perhaps they were popular in the original Yugo factory :fight:

Paint was always a problem on east block machines
On the older Tos SN lathes the bondo was so soft and affected by coolant that after 1 year the machine looked 10

BTW Kikinda also made a exact copy of the Technica centre grinder
Here is the one I have
Centre grinder Kikinda BG01 | Veltman Machines
They also made a surprisingly decent looking radial drill. Strongly suspect below example is a repaint by the dealer however.

Used 40" X 12" KIKINDA RADIAL DRILL MODEL RB40SPA for sale - 34170

Grainger lists over 1100 parts that are called motor thermal overload. Have you looked through them or called them to ask? Perhaps they can match your device.

BTW, your photo is very out of focus. A better one just may work. Try turning the flash on or putting the camera on a tripod. Take several photos and use the clearest one.

Back