What's new
What's new

KO LEE SG salvaging

dlane

Aluminum
Went to a CL add local to me , add said machinist tools and this is what was there, a BP 2j laying down in the mud also.
There was a girl there from Massachusetts cleaning out her dads estate.
Any how is it even worth scrap prices ? Do you think sg could live again

Attachments

• C880F23F-CB37-4BED-80AB-1B96F0B6BA0A.jpg
    C880F23F-CB37-4BED-80AB-1B96F0B6BA0A.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 419
It depends on how much loot they want for it and how clever you are at rehabbing machinery. If it's dirt (pun intended) cheap and you're crafty, then you'll end up with a great grinder.

Stuart

IMO any machine left to the elements has the potential of being saved, but the best-case-scenario to plan for, it will need to be totally dismantled, cleaned of rust and corrosion, possibly repainted, and there's a good chance that all electrical will need to be replaced. It might not be that bad, could just be surface rust and plug it in, but it's a gamble.

Once you have squared with that, next comes why it was left out to begin with.... worn out? broken or missing pieces? That's the gamble that we all take when looking at used machinery, this one just has an additional adventure in the mix.

Start digging....

A hole, just to the left of the picture.

It will back flip in nicely, into it's "final resting place".

And not make "Chinese Razor Blades".

Take a buddy. You two grab on the ends of the table and lift it off. Set it down on a clean spot. Now look at what you see. How do the ways look? Are all the little oiler wheels still there?

Rotate the spindle by hand. Any crunch? The spindle bearings are at least $500 and replacing them is a highly precision job that will make you pucker for weeks worrying if you screwed it up. Feel the spindle taper. Is it still smooth? If it's rusted - well, I'd pass on the thing.

When I rehabbed my KO Lee they were still in business and very helpful indeed. It would have
been tough without them.

metalmagpie

Can you find out from the girl how long it has been outside? Like did she move it out a few weeks ago to make room in garage to sort stuff? Or did her dad move it out a year and a half ago because something happened to it? If only outside for a short time do as metalmagpie suggested, it is probably fine.

yup, and it may have been 5 years under a tarp and that's just surface rust. for free? if ya got the time, grab it. Worst case, part it out- best case, ya got a decent little grinder for just a little sweat equity. Nothing wrong with that!

Just a word of caution; if it has the fabric cog belt for table motion, long term usage can cause severe tennis elbow and or carpal tunnel pain. Personal experience.

The grinder was automatic,there’s a large control panel behind it.
I’ll probably pull off some parts from both machines then call the scraper

Back