What's new
What's new

KOL40M universal tool & cutter grinder

Shouldn't be difficult that is the off shore answer to the Cinc #2, everyone form Acer to Yuasa has put their badge on one. And as with the Cinci #2, the machines used are dirt cheap, the tooling of which there is a huge amount is not cheap.

I have an old Cinci #2, the most difficult thing to to find was a standard workhead that was in good condition, meaning it had not been taken apart and "cleaned", that sends them out of true, because the taper sockets are ground with the Timken bearings in place.

Does anyone know where I could pick up a grinder like this or similar too it?

Knut Oscar Lee was, IIRC, a Swedish-American, and made his "KO Lee" goods in the USA, "back in the day". Focus was more on Tool & Cutter grinders than on Surface grinders. Not the same animal, but there are certain similarities.

What with R.K. LeBlond's old company (who had their own line of T&C grinders, but seriously OLD by this late date. Last one I saw listed was IN a Cajun Parish, actually) owned by Japan's Makino for Donkey's Years? The later models KO Lee continuation units could be made anywhere.

AFAIK, most of the workheads and a rather largish collection of other accessory goods all still interchange though. Some even get snatched-up to be used with Dividing heads (guilty as charged).

A "60" in the SKU (centimeters of long-axis travel, IIRC), will get you a seriously more useful long-axis travel. In extremis. The T&C grinder can even serve as an infrequent-use redneck surface grinder with a bit of TLC and fiddling - not "just" a T&C grinder.

Good machines, all. Some had DRO's, even CNC, and full OSHA guarding fitted for production work. Best non-USA copies came out of Taiwan (still do) and East Germany (no idea) AFAIK.

Lots of OTHER folk made surface grinders. A person could spend a month just researching that field as to whom specialized in WHAT.

On the T&C side, old Cincinnati's are around. Plenty of 'em. Also more likely to be plumb wore-out by all-day, every day, professional use, then kicked out the door to abused by less-aware fools. Their harder to find goods for that may ALSO be wore-out or damaged, if not lost, strayed, and outright scrapped when their "Mothership" grinder was finally written-off.

The other common one is the ubiquitous copy of the Deckel/Alexander/Gorton/Lars --> Asian copies Single Operation "SO" clan.

Good as far as it goes, Very compact, space-wise, for what it CAN do, but an SO is basically hand-operated, focused on the tip, hence just not in the same market as those that can traverse a whole, long, flute, and may have power traverse and more than one workhead for that.

Compare your acquisition cost, space budget, investment in accessories and wheels? You might just send stuff out to those who grind all day, every day. MOST of us do.

Competitive bizness, grinding is. Not a lot of money in "becoming" such for lesser volume. Waste, rather.

Surface grinders? Prolly find several hundred just on eBay. Some can be moved with a hand-truck, others a railway flatcar! And everything in between.

Folks who send their work out reclaimed space and reduced costly investment and fully-burdened expert operator wages by selling off grinders.

Not by buying new ones.

Do your maths first.

Or all you will "pick up" is an area under-roof into which you throw money.

Riverview Surplus in Moline IL has several workheads I believe were from a Cinc. No 2. I haven't asked the owner what he wants for them but I expect it will be a fraction of the flea bay price.

Back