What's new
What's new

KURT KTR35 'Sine' Toolroom vise

BHolcombe

Aluminum
Good afternoon! Wondering if anyone has experience with this vise, do you like the function of it?

I'm thinking to use this one one of a few machines for easy setup of angles.

I sometimes need to use a "sine" vise, so I took a look at the Kurt. It looks like a nice vise accurately ground on 3 sides, but as far as being a sine vise, this is what they say-
"This vise can also be used as a sine vise when using another vise as a receiver." So, it does not have a built in sine base, it would have to be mounted to a sine plate. Using another Kurt vise to hold and tilt this little vise would not be as accurate for inspection as using a sine base. But may be good enough for many jobs.

I sometimes need to use a "sine" vise, so I took a look at the Kurt. It looks like a nice vise accurately ground on 3 sides, but as far as being a sine vise, this is what they say-
"This vise can also be used as a sine vise when using another vise as a receiver." So, it does not have a built in sine base, it would have to be mounted to a sine plate. Using another Kurt vise to hold and tilt this little vise would not be as accurate for inspection as using a sine base. But may be good enough for many jobs.

One of the old timers I work with has a set of 6" jaws for a Kurt that have a sine bar built into the fixed jaw. One simply sets the gage block stack on the ground way of the vise, sets the sine bar atop it, and tightens the retaining screw. I can't for the life of me remember what brand they were, and a quick google doesn't turn them up. They wouldn't work for huge/heavy stuff, but for the stuff I was doing, that fit in the palm of my hand, they were an awesome time saver. I'll report back if I can find them.

One of the old timers I work with has a set of 6" jaws for a Kurt that have a sine bar built into the fixed jaw. One simply sets the gage block stack on the ground way of the vise, sets the sine bar atop it, and tightens the retaining screw. I can't for the life of me remember what brand they were, and a quick google doesn't turn them up. They wouldn't work for huge/heavy stuff, but for the stuff I was doing, that fit in the palm of my hand, they were an awesome time saver. I'll report back if I can find them.

Maybe this one?

CNC Precision Machining, Northwest Tool Co Inc Jaws

Kevin

I spoke with Kurt about the 'sine' aspect of this, apparently it is built in currently. I'm not sure what that actually entails however. I am curious to find out.

These look like a really smart design. I have Kurt 3 in 1 jaws for one vise, they're very useful but can only manage basic angles like 15, 30, 45.

I bought a set of the Kurt 3 in 1 jaws in 2013 thinking they would come in handy, I haven’t taken them out of the packaging! I mainly use soft jaws for most parts or like others use a sine vise clamped in another vise for one offs!

Kevin

Sounds like I should have posted a wanted add when I was looking for those. They're very handy for small work, I used them to make a set of 45 degree hinges not long ago.

Back